Pacifire Problems

My 2 year old son is super attached to his pacifire. He gets it for his daily nap and at bedtime. I am anxious to take it away from him so we can all get on with our lives (we have a baby coming in 6 weeks, I would like him to be paci free by then).
I have heard suggestions of the paci fairy, considered making him go cold turkey, cutting holes in the tips so suction is reduced and encouraging him to "donate" his pacis to children in need. What worked for you - and what didn't. Any suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated. Thank You!!

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 2:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 year old was the same. I tried different things, but none worked. I finally just took it away, and threw it away when she wasn't looking (so I wouldn't be tempted to give it to her). She had a rough few days, but then she was fine.
    Anonymous

• Maybe he could give it to his new baby brother/sister when he/she arrives.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 2:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It works differently for each child. You will have to figure out what works for you. My friends DD just one day said all done and threw it out the window when they were driving. Some can do it cold turkey. I have seen so many people struggle till the find what works for them. I have worked in childcare so I have seen it all and know what works for them does not work for the next. So I say you know your child best. Start with what you think will work best. If that does not work try another one.
    Anonymous

• My son turned two right after Christmas. He was super duper attached to his pacifier. I was dreading the day that we would get rid of it for my sanity. He still used it ALL the time. Which was my fault, I know. Anyway, he just happened to lose it about 3 weeks ago. He had about 3 just floating around the house and we couldn't find any of them. So, it was just gone. After three days of no pacifier he found one in a basket of blankets in my room. I took him outside to the garbage can and we threw it away. He has done so good. It was a lot easier than I ever thought it would be. With my oldest son, his got a hole in it. I told him it was broken and that was was the end of it. He wasn't near as attached as his little brother was.
    Anonymous

• my son is 14 months and had an issue with losing his paci's. So his daddy told him (not like he understood) that the paci he had was his last one and if he lost that one that was it. He's been paci free for 2 weeks now. it's hard in the beginning though, but it's better then them having a paci forever
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• my couisn do nated her passies and bottles to the baby cows on our farm. She was seriously obssesed with them and had a grocery sack full of them by the time we found all them that she had hid all through out her house, grandma's house and cars. She was ok since she "gave" them to the moo cows.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2010