Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Financial aid for finishing my degree after defaulting

I defaulted on my school loans in the past from being laid off so I haven't been able to make the payments from when I took a break. I want to go back and finish school, but would I be able to get FA even though I defaulted on the other loans? I know after 6 months of completing school or dropping out you have to start paying so if I go back will that make my loans I defaulted on just go onto to everything else and after I finish I start paying it all back.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in

Answers (3)
  • You have to have your defaulted loans back in good standing before you can get more financial aide.

    Answer by Pnukey at 2:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • I don't know why people default on student loans, there are 100's of deferrment options to stop your payments for years at a time. You may or may not get more financial aid. If the loan was a federal loan, you may not. You would have to call a financial aid office to know for sure.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • You can look for scholarships here:


    Answer by rkoloms at 4:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.