Looking for a Pediatrician.. first time mother

I am seeking out Pediatricians for our first child due in April. Will you ladies please send me some feedback on who you use and what your experience is? I am wanting someone easy to talk to, helpful staff, very knowledgable and great with babies! At this time I do not have a preference of male or female. In your experience.. who is easiest to work with between a male or female. Thanks so much ladies. I live in the Southeast Texas area so Beaumont or Port Arthur is the area I am searching.

Kat5280

Asked by Kat5280 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't live down there, I'm up in DFW, but have you asked your OB about references to Pediatricians? If they can give you a couple names you might could call em and then schedule a little get to know you appointment to go talk to em and see if they seem like a good fit, before baby comes along. I know some will do this for new patients, especially new moms. Call around and check them out and ask your OB or other moms you see in the OB office, you could start there. Good luck!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I just took my babies to our family doctor. The one doctor is also a pediatrician. It was very nice, especially with my first to take him their since I was already comfortable with the doctor and could easily talk to her.
    Anonymous

• Call and ask questions!
    If you plan to breastfeed make sure you are with a group of peds who are very supportive. Surprisingly enough there are groups out there that are not.
    If you plan to delay vaccines or not vaccinate then make sure you are with a group that not supports your decision but is willing to treat your choice with respect.
    If you want a more personal relationship with the you child's ped. go with a practice of 3 or less doctors in it.
    If they don't have time to discuss any of this with you then they will not have time to discuss any other issues with you later. IME

With my first I was with the HUGE practice that EVERYONE used. I had to wait for an hour or more to have my newborn weighed. I was encouraged to supplement with formula because my child was not gaining enough fast enough. I always felt rushed. Why I stayed for so long I have no idea. With my second I found a practice that was so great about
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• making time to answer my questions about polices and wait times as well and hours and er care. At my first appt the doctor talked with me for an hour about my daughters weight and about increasing my nursing and supply. She encouraged me in my choice to breastfeed as long as I could. I was able to see the doctor I wanted every time I went in with out waiting an extra week or 2 to be fit in. It was really nice. I love them and they know my kids by name when we walk in.

Also when you go in to talk to them grab a couple of parent in the waiting room and casually ask then how they feel about the practice as well. Most will be more than honest.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2010