Do your kids call adults by their first names?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• my teenager calls my best friend by her first name
    Anonymous

• No. We live in the South, and it's always been Mr. first name or Mrs. first name for people we know well, but never first name only!

Answer by missanc at 2:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i dont know, i dont think that this is a big deal. My friend wanted her kids to call me Mrs. Smith and i said heck no, they can call me by my first name, she saw this as them being disrespectful. thats the name my mom gave me and i like it, as long as they're not calling me hoe bag or skank, i'm good with that.
    Anonymous

• yes but with Mr. or Miss in front of the name unless it is a very very close family friend
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• We don't live in an area that's formal. My kids call adult friends/family members by their first names.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I have instructed my boys that it is a Mrs or Mr unless they are directed by that individual otherwise. I think that is fair! They are still being respectful, either way to that person's wishes. :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Nope, we had "mama" and "papa" ... Aunt Megan, etc.

For people who were not relatives, many people were "Mr. Smith" / "Miss Jones". When talking about people we ourselves called by their first names, for some instinctive reason we prefaced their first name by "lady Susan" and "man John".

It just seemed that our young ones needed the designation to help them distinguish a name from among the welter of new words they were always discovering ... and somehow it was beneficial to model reverence and respect by using a special title before a person's name - it kind of "set them apart" ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• NO. It is nana & papa, Aunt & Uncle, Mr. (first name or last) and Mrs.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 2:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• But why is it disrespectful to call me Mary, it is my name.
    Anonymous

• It it is a relative they are addressed by Aunt,Uncle,Grandma, or Grandpa. Teachers are the same way. But people he knows on a personal basis it is by their first name. There are some of his friends moms' that he calls mom as his friends do the sam with myself.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2010