Godparents

do they have to be a couple? do they have to be in the family? can you have one but not the other?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't know about the Catholic stipulations of it, but in general it can be anyone you want regardless of being a couple or a family member.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i have my god-mom we were just going to go with her but then we also did my moms sisters hubby as my god-dad and my god-mom was a friend of the family and they werent married so i think to answer your Q no to all
    Anonymous

• As far as I know they don't have to be family or a couple, but at least ONE has to be Catholic (if you are baptizing in a Catholic church). Your priest should be able to give you more advice about how to chose Godparents and what the requirements are for your dioceses. I don't know about the rules in a protestant church.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 2:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I think it depends. My Dh says has to be non family and they need to be married. I want family and most of my family is not married. What we are doing is DH chooses god parents for one of our children and I choose for the other. That way he gets married friends and I get family that isn't married (my sister and his brother). If you have questions call your church or place of worship and ask what the rules are.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 2:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• as long as ONE is baptised catholic you're good to go. we have dh's older sister and her now ex husband as godparents for our older 2 (she's catholic, he wasn't). youngest dd has dhs younger sister and her dh (she's catholic and he isn't)

but dh is sole godparent to his best friend's son.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• As long as one in the couple has been through Conformation. It can be two different people form two different families. they absolutely do not have to be family(Or my babies wouldn't have any).
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i depends on your religious association with it. I'm not sure how it works in churches and such since we don't go.. but I will give you one word of warning.. make sure that the godparent/s is/are someone who will actually be there for the child as they grow up. We had a mutual friend (the guy who introduced us) as the godfather for my daughter and he completely flaked out and has only seen her 3x in her life. If I could go back and change it I would probably use someone in the family just because I KNOW they won't disappear on her!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I was baptised Catholic and my godparents are relives, but not a couple. It is my moms cousin and my moms brother. My older dds godparents are my sister and my BIL and my younger dds godparents are my uncle and my sister.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2010