is it pink eye?

my baby has had pink eye every since like 2 days after i brought him home from the hospital. he is 3 weeks old. i have been putting eye drops in his eyes 4 times a day and it doesnt seem to help bc he still has yellow stuff coming out of his eyes!!! i was just wondering if he could be allergic to my dogs or somethin??

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it sounds like pink eye. Call his Doctor and tell him the drops are not working!
    Anonymous

• Clogged tear ducts come to mind. I would go and see your Dr. Since I can not really tell you what it is. Did you see the Dr for the pink eye?
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• yea i took him to the emergency room
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• sounds to me like its a clogged duct. warm compresses and massage the duct under the eye to keep it loose.

but definitely check with the dr if it is pink eye.

what eye drops are you giving?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Ok, this post might gross people out. My daughter was 18 months old when she had that gross discharge from her eye. The on call doctor said take her to med express, it's probably pink eye and since it was the weekend, go there. Turns out, not pink eye but her sinuses were so plugged and backed up the snot was draining out of her eye. GROSS! She needed an oral antibiotic for the sinus infection and eye drops so that the eye would not become infected from the drainage.

Something to think about.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 3:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• A good wash for eyes is goldenseal tea - 1/2 tsp of goldenseal powder in a mug ... pour a cup or 1 1/2 cups of boiling water over it & let it steep. Gently stir the surface to help all the grains of the powder to fall to the bottom.

Using only the pure liquid - with no grains of powder - dip a bit of cotton ball into the lukewarm or cool tea, and gently stroke from the inner eye outward to wash off the eye. DON'T re-dip the cotton ball into the tea - use a fresh piece of cotton ball if you need to get some more tea to finish washing off the outer eyelid (of course you avoid touching the eyeball, but the tea is mixing somewhat with the eye's fluids)

And be careful not to handle the second eye with anything from treating the first eye - even wash your hands well between.

Goldenseal is anti-biotic. This tea always took care of my kids' pink-eye (often with one application ! ) It doesn't sting (try it on your own eye 1st)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I think since you were diagnosed with pink eye at one piont. You should go in and see your Dr. See what is going on. But that is just me. I would rather be safe then sorry later. We can say it is this or that but only your Dr can really tell you and what you need to do. Good luck and hope what ever it is it clears up soon.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i dont even know what the eye drops are called, its what they gave me at the er. but i am scared it is a clogged tear duct now! i called his doctor and she said she will look at it tuesday at his appt. but thanks everyone for your opinions!
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• a clogged duct is easy to deal with - just gross.

warm compress, and massage the duct. for most they go away on their own, but extreme cases need to be fixed by dr. my youngest had one clogged for her first 4-5 months.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2010