When should i start potty training my boy?

My husband and i want to start trying for baby number 2 when our first baby turns 2 years old - one year from now. We'd like to have our son potty trained before the next baby comes, but it would be ideal if we could have him potty trained before i even get pregnant (I was really sick the first trimester with baby 1, so I doubt i'd be able to do any potty training during the 1st trimester with baby 2) Any suggestions on how to get that done, and when would be a good time to start so he'd be mostly ok by the time he's 2? THANKS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we are doing that now. introduce him to the potty first, sit him on it with clothes on...read a book whatever for a bit...i did that since he was about 8 months. Now if i see him about to do something I take him to the bathroom and he goes. This way is kind of backwards...but I think it'll be easier and less stressful than fighting about the potty after he knows what pooping is.
    huniyxyz

Answer by huniyxyz at 3:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The problem is that you don't know when he will be ready for training. My first 2 trained at about 2.5. They were ready and their preschool pressured them a bit as well. Then there was #3, who is 5yrs younger than the middle child. He showed no desire to train until he was ready and barely then. I finally gave up and watched for the basic signs: can take a nap without a wet diaper and holding in pee for a couple of hours a day. I took him potty for the first time a week before his 3rd bday and he was completely day trained within 2 weeks.

In the meantime let him know what people do in the bathroom and have daddy take him as much as possible to see how boys pee. This may spark an earlier interest.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2010