Washer and dryers?

Alright moms, my washing maching took a poo this am and now I am in the need of a new one! Been looking online all morning and am soooooo lost with all the choices. What do you have? Do you like it or hate it? What should I stay away from? What features should I make sure it has? My washer is about 20 years old so I really don't know much about all the new stuff out there! Thanks!

klpeter

Asked by klpeter at 3:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Everything I have read about the front load washers, while they are cool and work great, after a awhile ALL brands will start to collect mold under the drum. You can't get to it to clean. I watched a deal on it on Dateline actually and they recommended going with the old fashioned type. Just a thought....
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Thanks jenree33. I did hear about that too and asked about it when I was in 1 store today. They did say there has been a problem with that in the past but companies have started to tilt the drum so that should not be a problem. (atleast that is what they told me!) lol
    klpeter

Answer by klpeter at 3:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• to avoid the mold - don't close the door between washes

I've got the whirlpool duets - had them for almost 2 years (maybe 3 - time's been flying) and haven't had a problem - just a small clog that was easily fixed

best part is that they save on water and electricity! and things come out much cleaner and in better shape than my old toploaders.

mine were scratch and dent sales - saved about $1200 on the pair. there's a bitty scratch on the back side of the washer and the side of the dryer.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i have the duet washer. i don't close the door, and i don't have that mold issue.
    i have heard people say that it saves $ on water, but i haven't seen that, and it doesn't get my clothes any cleaner either. i don't think you should have to spend that much on a washer. ( i almost always regret my top of the line spendings!)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• We have the LG Front Load - High Capacity w & d. We LOVEE them. Like someone said - to avoid the mold, don't close the door between loads. They are roughly $1200-$1600 for the set.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I have a set of GE front loads and love them. I leave the washer door open after a wash and I use washing machine cleaner once a month. Never have a problem with mold or that meldewy smell.
    Anonymous

• I have a Kenmoore Front Loader and I love it. It is 3 yrs old. I have no mold. I leave it open in between washes and wipe off the gasket when I think of it. Also, there is a setting to clean the machine, use bleach.
    Lullababy

Answer by Lullababy at 12:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2010