Anyone Keeping Up With Prop 8 Trial?

I have been, and I must say that Prop 8 hasn't got a leg to stand on right about now! I was particularly bafled by 2 things so far:

1. Marriage is for procreation. Really? So then infertile couples, older couples and those NOT wanting kids shouldn't be able to marry either then, right?

2. The Catholic church is ok with men/men relationships as long as they are priests. That just blew my mind!

I will post link to the site I go to for keeping track in reply below.
Oh if you're not aware Prop 8 trial is about gay marriage, which I am in support of.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 3:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I have been following it here. Of course, whatever happens in this court...it will end up befor the US Supreme Court. It will end up being a question over civil rights...is the gay marriage ban this decade's equivalent of Jim Crow laws?

Answer by gdiamante at 3:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I am watching/listening with great interest. I agree, it will go to the SC and it does seem to be a repeat of Jim Crow era laws. Pick the group with whom you feel threatened for reasons imagined (degrading of marriages as a result of allowing all to have this right) and persecute them to impose your religiously based beliefs. This is ultimately a religious fight and will fall flat if the constitutional stipulation that no religion will be used as a ruling factor (Christianity is a dominant force, but not the belief system of all) in creating and enforcing laws.

AnonIsEasiest

Answer by AnonIsEasiest at 3:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I am for gay marriage but the decision does not belong in the SC. It is not an issue for the nine justices of the supreme court. It is an issue for the people to resolve through their elected reps.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I support gay marriage also, but haven't been paying much attention to prop 8.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• how is the constitutionality of denying citizens their civil rights NOT a matter for the SC?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• "I am for gay marriage but the decision does not belong in the SC. It is not an issue for the nine justices of the supreme court. It is an issue for the people to resolve through their elected reps."

Have to disagree, Carpy. If things were left to the people and their elected reps, Jim Crow would still be the law in the South.

We are a Republic WITH a high court to decide interpretations of law precisely because the Founders did not trust We the People that much, to let us do things without checks and balances.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If it is overturned it means "we the people" really don't have a voice. There is also a big problem with the state Attorney General not defending a law put forth by a vote of the people of the state. The backers of the original bill were forced to defend it themselves. This is a huge legal issue that could have drastic consequences in many areas.
    Anonymous

• I am a huge supporter of gay marriage but no i havnt been following prop 8 :(
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Jim Crow would still be the law in the South.

Jim Crow was not the same and in time it would have died out just as the Gay marriage issue will.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2010