Food poisening during pregnancy.

Last night my husband and I ate some ground beef that apparently wasn't so good. He and I have been vomiting and.. well I'm sure you can imagine. I am going to call my midwife today and ask her about it, but I was wondering if you guys have any knowledge about if it could have hurt baby? I am drinking fluids but I am not taking food down (crackers). Any suggestions?

samanthabird

Asked by samanthabird at 3:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Some types of food poisoning can cross the placenta. E coli, which is most commonly the cause of beef food poisoning, is too big to cross. It's a huge buggy. The baby is not infected.

The only risk to your baby is stress and dehydration. So don't freak out.

Coconut water, broth, and juices need to keep flowing in. You're going to be fine. I know it hugely sucks and you both feel awful.

Does you midwife have an hemorrhoid preventative oil she can give you? If not, wipe with witch hazel after you go and then dab a little olive oil on your anus as a precaution. If you can prevent stress to the tissue you can hopefully avoid them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/psafe/0,,midwife_4574,00.html
    Anonymous