Has your child ever been bit at daycare?

My 1 year old was bit the other day for the first time in her life. She came home with a little teeth mark brooze on her chubby little arm and i know i reacted pretty good considering how freak out and pissed i was... but what about you mommas?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 3:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I can speak as someone who has been in all three positions here:
    1.mother of the bitten child:Yes it is frustrating to know that your child was treated so unkindly and it seems like the teacher gave no notice. And then to boot they can't tell which little snot :0) bit your child
    2. Mother of the bitter:OMG! I was mortified. I mean what kind of mother do they think I am that my child bit another child! I wanted to apologies to the mother of the bitten child but I was not given that child's name
    3. the daycare teacher: It is unbelievably hard to keep a close enough eye on all of the children in the room to get there in time to prevent such attacks. I was in the 2's and had 15 kids to myself per state ratio's. No matter how much I complained to management that I couldn't watch all the kids they paid no head since we were within the law.
    I am so sorry I know how you feel just know no one else feels any better about it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Actually, I was bit in preschool. I still remember it clear as day, in fact, it's one of the only things I can recall about preschool or live before I was about 10!!!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I'm surprised the daycare provider didn't inform you before you picked up your child. I don't think my daughter got bit or bit anyone. But, you should speak to your daycare provider.
    Anonymous

• Yes I had an incident where my child was bit and no one told me! I picked up my son and when we got home I took off his jacket and he had a HUGE mark on his arm where the little girl had bit and broke some skin. I immediatly called the school and asked what happened, they couldn't remember exactly they said. I was pissed! I was kinda lucky that a friend of mine owned and ran the daycare so I called her and asked the same thing, but she didn't know either so she asked her staff and they told her what happened. When I got to the school the next day I layed into the teacher-I used to teach pre-k and I know what you have to remember to tell parents everyday, this being one of those things-and the teacher actually quit because she said she shouldn't be expected to remember everything that happens everyday with every kid. I think she did the right thing.
    Anonymous

• kids bite sometimes. i wouldnt be so upset by it, unless it happens many more times.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I'm surprised as well that you weren't informed about it when you picked her up. Unless no one knew it happened. I worked at a daycare for a few months and we had a girl that came in that was known for biting. I saw her bite 3 kids. We had to write it down on an incident form and give it the parents when they picked their child up. Many of them were furious. As I would be. The little girl actually bite so many times that she was suspended from coming for awhile.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It happened to all 3 of my kids. I took it really hard with my first. The younger ones (twins) bit each other at home too, so I couldn't get mad at the daycare when it happened to them. I'm sure they probably bit other kids at daycare a few times too.
    Anonymous

• My second kid was in a group of biters. One day I walked in and saw there was in incident report of biting and I learned that one of the older babies was leaning in for a kiss on my son but slipped and the kid had teeth. Right on the cheek about 8 teeth mark.

Then from 12-20 months, he was bitten about 3 times. he bit 2x. Its normal and some groups of kids in daycare will not have any incidents. Just takes patience with your own child.

And know that the mother of the biting kid has been told to and feels horrible as well.

After 2, once we got to older kids, the biting all stopped.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 4:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• my son has bitten and been bit in a private care setting, i can't imagine the teachers being able to see everything. but they should have noticed the bite if it was in the open and informed you. i would talk to the director and just ask them to make sure the teachers are aware of the problem bc your son was hurt so they can be on the look out for it and correct it before it happens again.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My daughter was bit, it happens. Her school handled it well, called me at work. It happens, they are kids. As long as it doesn't happen repeatedly, I really don't understand why parents get so crazy upset over it. Heck, my daughter bit her brother, it happens. How many times did I just say it happens? lol
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2010