spin off question. Why is it disrespectful for a child to call an adult by their first name.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't really think it's disrespectful, it's just how we choose to raise or kids. I don't mind if my friends kids call me by my first name, I just don't want my boys to do that. I just think it's more respectful if you use Mr. or Mrs. so and so. Plus both my husband and I are military brats, and in the military you don't address anyone by their first name. It's all in how you're raised, and what you believe and feel is right for your own family. No biggie really =)
    Anonymous

• its not... its just some ppls opinions of why it is.
    Anonymous

• my DS calls our friends by first name, and their kids call us by ours...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• no, but if that adult has a problem with it they should come up with an alternative name that they can call them
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I'm not sure. I was always taught that you call them Mr. ____ Mrs. ____ etc. So growing up that's what I did. However as I got older, I could tell the difference between people that I knew wouldn't mind being called my their first name, ie. my fiance's parents, and people that would get offended by it. So I just go by my own judgement now.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I always teach my boys to say Mrs., Mr. or whatever and if the adult doesn't say call me "Katie" or whatever, then they will respect that and call them by Mrs. or Mrs.
    Anonymous

• I think it is respectful, think about it, even as an adult (at least in my profession) when you speak to someone you don't know you call them Mr. or Miss ___. I will teach my DD to call people Mr and Miss because it is a sign of respect.
    Anonymous

• It's not disrespectful. It is disrespectful to assume that someone WANTS to be called "Mr." "Mrs." or "Miss"...
    If someone WANTS to be addressed that way, fine. But if they don't care, or they want to be addressed by their first name, it is rude to insist differently.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It's not disrespectful if the adult is ok with it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It is a very traditional view point. It is a way of showing respect for and adult. To put them in a differnt 'catagory' than you would your playmate (who you would naturally call by his/her first name).

We have taught our children to call people Mr. ___, Mrs. ____, Ms. _____, Miss_____, Coach _____, Aunt/Uncle _____. There are a few (very few) adults we allow our children to call by their first name. They are people we are very close to who have requested it.

For us it is the proper way to do things. I also introduce my self as Mrs.____; However, my teenage daugher has some very dear friends that we have known for years and I have allowed them to call me Mama 'firstname'. But not all of them have been given this option.

Do what you feel is right.... but make sure you do not allow your children to use first names unless it is ok with those adults.
    Anonymous