Help? 4 month old dd

Okay, so here's the scoop. My dd is always such a ham! But for the past day now all she has been doing is crying.. I don't mean just crying, it's more like SCREAMING.. She has been refusing to eat her bottles. She usually drinks about 30-36 oz in one day, and so far she has only had 11 oz. Nothing will calm her down unless you put her right in front of the tv so she can look at the colors. I called the doctor's office but they haven't returned my call..
Oh yes, she doesn't have a fever, no diarrhea, and no vomiting.. What the heck could this be
?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Teeth. Give her a cool wash cloth to chew on. I doubt they're coming in yet, but they could be bothering here already.
    Anonymous

• can she be cutting teeth
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• OP HERE :

She has no signs of teething, yes she has been drooling, but since birth. Would teething also cause her to stop eating?
    Anonymous

• Yes, teething can make them stop eating because then nothing is pressing on the gums.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• it did for my dd
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It makes them stop eating because of two things: 1. They are in pain because of the teeth and 2. Because they are drooling and filling their tummies with drool (which also causes some runny poops!).

My DD also loved a frozen wash cloth (clean that we only used for teething). Try it out, see if it works. If not, I would be calling the doctor again.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I'd say teething...or maybe she's tired? Has anything in her day changed? Maybe she's got a tummy ache...gas? I would give her some tylenol...or gas medication..like mylacon...good luck, hope she's okay.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE:

Thanks ladies, I'm pretty sure that this isn't teething. She has been drooling since birth! She isn't showing any signs of teething. Everything that normally works when she is worked up and upset isn't working. She only drank 11 oz. yesterday, I called the doctor and they just said to wait it out, and she's doing the same thing again today, so now I am waiting for another call back today to see what they think! She worked herself up so bad this time, her lips turned blue and her whole body was bright red from the crying so was doing. I have a 4 year old and she was never like this while teething.. If she is teething im pretty sure this is going to be a bumpy ride~!!
    Anonymous

• Try giving her some baby Tylenol- your peds office can give you the dosage if you don't know it- even a nurse should be able to tell you. It can definitely be teeth- she has at least one sign of teething and that is crankiness, right? You might not see anything in her mouth yet, but symptoms of teething can start weeks before the tooth pokes through. Don't worry- she probably won't be cranky for weeks, she is probably just having a rough couple of days. Sucking the nipple of the bottle can hurt if her gums are tender. Try the tylenol, things to chew on (my daughter loved metal- like key chains, etc, just nothing that is a choking hazard, I think the metal felt cool in her mouth), a cold wet washcloth put in the freezer for a few minutes. If it doesn't get any better or your mother's intuition nags you that something is wrong then I would take her in just to be sure. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If you really feel it's not teething the other possibility is ear infection. They occur without fever sometimes, they cause pain and difficulty eating.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2010