Once in a while she stops breathing...

My granddaughter will cry so hard she will stop breathing and turn purple. Is this normal? She always breathes a little harder than what seems normal, could there be a serious problem?

christy7273

Asked by christy7273 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is not normal for your grandchild to stop breathing and turn purple!!! I don't know if it is serious or not, but it sure sounds like it!
    Anonymous

• why is she crying that hard? my son used to get like that whenever he was colicky.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Someone should really bring that child to a doctor and make sure there is nothing wrong. Good luck....you really need to do something about this. I wouldn't be wasting my time asking that question on cafemom...I would have brought my child to the doctor as soon as it first happened. That's a problem.
    Anonymous

• It's not uncommon for some children to do this, my niece did. If it happens outside of a tantrum it is cause for concern. I would work with your daughter on techniques to calm and comfort her child before it reaches that point.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Its a trouble that happened to my daughter and we were in the hospital for 4 days. Good luck
    JDalila

Answer by JDalila at 4:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• if your grandaughter is crying hard they do turn purple and they will seem like they arent breathing but what i always do is blow on the baby and they always seem to catch their breath...blow in her face not hard but just a little bit...goodluck
    Anonymous