vaccinations and school enrollment

This I'm sure has been discussed here before. My sister and I are going back and forth over it. Can a public school not allow your child enrollment if you decide NOT to give him/her a vax? Like the chicken pox vax. I say they can NOT, not enroll your child and they are allowed to attend. She says Im wrong. Unless for religious beliefs. And I thought you could get an exempt form even IF its not your specific religion. SOOO for you moms who dont vax and your child DOES go to school whos right? And to let everyone know, I dont care if you do or dont vax your kids. We live in Ks. And THANK YOU

mommymeof2

Asked by mommymeof2 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, there is an exemption. You need to talk with your school to get a form and possibly with your doctor. Here's more info: http://www.vaccineinfo.net/exemptions/index.shtml
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 5:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Many states require you sign a waiver stating that you did not do it for medical, personal, or religious reasons.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You can opt out in almost all public districts.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You MUST fill out the form whether religious or your own preference but you can't get into school w/o the form signed. After it's signed, you can enroll. That said, in all actuality, you can probably fill out the "shot" record and just lie about it. If you really wanted to. I'm not a big fan of vaccinations and was appalled about the Chickenpox vaccine up until last year when two friends got Shingles which was NOT fun and kept them out of work for like a month. The vaccine helps you avoid pox and as a side result, shingles.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• All states have exemptions. Only one or two states only accept medical exemptions. Most states have more than one exemption available.

Many states not only allow a medical exemption but also religious and philosophical.
    Anonymous

• Yes you can. they have to have a form signed they chose not to vax.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Yes, you can get an exemption. check out your state exemptions on www.vaclib.org

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/kansas.htm

Your state has medical and religious exemptions.
    Anonymous

• I am from ks as well. we are allowed exemptions for medical and religious
    Anonymous

• I plan on using religious exemption out of the chicken pox vaccine.

Jean - according to certain studies (which were published in the New England Journal of Medicine) getting the chicken pox vaccine actually INCREASES your chances of getting shingles later in life. This is why we now have a shingles vaccine for the elderly.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• How can you religious out of ONE vax? Religions that disallow ONE disallow all... Don't they?
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2010