Brushing a 17 month olds teeth!!

What is a good way on brushing my DD's teeth! I try to brush them but she just starts closing her mouth and moving her head and just wont let me. Im worried shes going to have horrible teeth because she will not let me touch them! i can kinda see plaque on them!! please tell me tips on how you brushed your childs teeth!!

MoMMy2aDiVA08

Asked by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I brush with my children, let them hold an extra toothbrush, practice opening for AHHHH or close teeth open lips for EEEEEEE so you can brush. Whatever works at the time, but I make it very clear that the teeth get brushed with or without their cooperation, I never just give up so the manipulation ends pretty quickly.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I started with "mama brushes, kyla brushes" and while I brush I say "top ones!" "bottom ones" "say CHEESE!". I then let her brush her own. We don't do the full minute becuase I think that is near impossible with a 2 year old but as long as you can get that toothbrush over her teeth they'll be fine! If she decides not to coorperate one night and rolls on the floor screaming, I hold her down and brush as she screams. She learned really quickly no matter what, her teeth NEED to be brushed. Right now, we are "singing" when we brush. I tell her to sing AHHHHHH and she does... then she sings CHEEEEESE until I'm done. After that, she gets the toothbrush and brushes too. Singing or screaming she gets her teeth brushed! It does take time and practice, but she'll get it quickly! GL!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• we use rotating heads, the kids like them.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Give her a doll and toothbrush; you can brush your babies' teeth together.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I found a light up tooth brush that my 3 year old likes. It flashes for one minute. I would give her a toothbrush to do herself and then have another one that you can use, so you can work together. I like the singing the song idea as well.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 10:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i let my DD (18 months old) do it first, she asks for more toothpaste and I let her do it as many times as it takes for her to be comfortable with it then i grab the brush and say let mommy try. I quickly (very quickly) get that brush in there and brush as fast as I can before she pulls away. My DD has only 10 teeth 8 of those are fully in and 2 are molars just peeking through. It works and she's execpting it more and more everyday.
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2010