how accurate are ultrasound growth scan? i was told my baby is very big. i'm als measuring 40in at 38 weeks is that good?

thats y i'm getting an induction.....are they always right?

graciause

Asked by graciause at 5:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You are getting an induction because you don't realize that you have control over the situation and are afraid to trust your own body. They are often VERY inaccurate. Induction increases your chances of c-section. If you want what is best for you and your baby, you will listen to your body and start advocating for yourself.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 5:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• none of my babies were anywhere near what was estimated for my u/s all were under by about 2-5 pounds.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• A lot of those scans are inaccurate. I would not get induced if the baby is healthy and the placenta is healthy.

Ultrasounds have been known to be wrong frequently.

If you have not gone into labor then odds are your body is NOT ready.

So bottom line if "measuring" big is the only reason to induce then it does not make sense to me.
    Anonymous

• they are inaccurate. They had my son at 7 lbs and he was 8lb 10 oz when he was born. and he was HUGE. I measured 3 weeks bigger my entire pregnancy.
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• They told me my baby would be at least 8-10lbs. I gained a huge amount of weight and my belly was huge. I had a growth scan around week 37. My baby was born week 39, and she was 6lb 12oz. They were way off. She was a tiny baby.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 5:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i have heard many stories about how wrong, very wrong they are.
    fyi, you open up 30% wider in a squat position than laying on your back.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Ultrasounds used to estimate weight are HORRIBLY inaccurate. They can be off by more than two pounds, either direction! It's quite possible a baby estimated to be nine possible would actually weigh in at barely seven pounds.
    "Measuring big" also doesn't mean very much. How you measure on a particular day has a lot to do with how much fluid is present (fluid levels vary somewhat based on how hydrated you are), how much weight you gained that week, and how the baby is positioned. If your baby hasn't dropped yet, you would measure larger than another woman in her 38th week whose baby has dropped, because yours is still sitting high in your belly and hers is down in the pelvis.
    Unless there are other health concerns (diabetes, blood pressure, etc) I would avoid the induction.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 6:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I had one done at 39 weeks and it said my dd would weigh about 10lbs. My dr. said it could be off a pound either way(over or under) so we scheduled me to be induced the next week, which was actually her due date and she weighed 9lbs 13 1/2 ozs.
    Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 6:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Well even if the scan is right its still not a reason to induce, even ACOG advices against inductions or c-sections for possible larger babies. There is no reliable way of determining the babies size until it is born, its an estimation nothing more, they can be off by pounds.
    When you say measurig big i'm assuming you are talking about fundal height, its not unusual at all to be off by a couple of cm, it depends on how it was measured and the position of the baby, i have seen some huge bellies that held small babies and small bellies that held large babies, it isnt and indication of anything.
    A lot of women that birthed both smaller and large babies say that the larger ones are actually easier to birth, my sister had one that was 7 pounds and a bit and one that was 9.9 pounds, she had a far easier and faster labor and birth with the larger baby.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Mine was wrong. I was supposd to have a 10 pound baby. Nope. 7 pounds 10 ounces.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2010