Do you feel like you've become someone else?

I do. I love my 2 baby girls dearly, one is almost 3 then other one will be 1 yr old next month and they make me laugh everyday. But, I feel like I lost myself when I became a mom. My hair is too long, I'm now overweight, broken out and don't have the same friends. Heck! I'm lucky if I have one friend left.
This isn't a pitty party I just feel so frumpy and not who I used to be and no matter how much I try I just can't look the same way. I'm fortunate to have an awesome hubby and family though... and I am grateful. Do you ever feel like you lost yourself in motherhood?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is an understatement!
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 5:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i lost myself in that i'm not as crazy as I use to be. i use to not care about anything I did, now all I think about before I do something it what if something happens to me?
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• yea... i have long hair that hasn't been colored every 6 wks like it was before.... but I've become someone else entirely! The foods I used to like have completely changed, my favorite things to do are now opposite... it's weird, but I wouldn't take it back!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The dynamics of your life has changed drastically so it's reasonable to believe that in the change part of you has changed as well. The good news is that when they grow up and move out you get to find "you" again! I did and I'm as happy as a lark now.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My kids are now 15 years old. I feel like that a lot of the time. It is normal to feel that way.
    Anonymous

• every women, let alone a mother, feels like this at one time or another. You MUST MUST MUST take the little time out for yourself. Got an extra twenty bucks at the end of the month? Go get your hair cut. Set yourself up one night to paint your toes and nails. Take a bubble bath after they dry. Get dolled up and go grocery shopping :)!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I feel like that definitley! I used to take the time for me all the time, now even when my son naps and I could have me time i'd rather sleep, clean, or just set still. And even when he goes to his grandma's house I do nothing hardly for myself anymore. Its crazy how much you can change as a person when you have a child. My son just turned 1 and I don't know when I will ever have a chance to become who or what I was before a baby. And as for friends....the only friends I have are those who have children lol its not a horrible thing, but I did have friends who didn't have children b4 my son was born. I'm not really complaining that my life has changed, just makes me think after reading your question. I love my son and thats all that matters! :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I did feel that way, but don't really anymore. I think it's very normal reaction to such a huge life transition. My kids are about the same age as yours and I did feel like that for the past few years. Something kind of clicked in me though and I realized I had to start feeling better about myself and treating myself better. I do joke, however that I look as though I've aged about 10 years in the 3 1/2 years since I had my first baby.

I will say though that I'm a pretty low key, low maitenance person who likes life to be quiet and uncomplicated. So at least in that sense my transition into motherhood was not a complete 180.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Yes but it gets better as they get older. For you, don't put pressure on yourself but start walking and try eating right and drinking lots of water. You cannot control the kids but you can control what you do for yourself. It gives you more energy and you'll start feeling better about the new "you" as opposed to the old one. It's a rite's of passage becoming a Mom. You do shed part of your old self and with that, comes a sort of "loss." I am in denial that I am no longer 25, lol!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• you took the words right out of my mouth!
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 9:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2010