has someone abused my son?

i was an abused child myself and i knew other girls that were. even after i left home i had a"creature" under my bed. then i met another girl, who told me about the closet monster. somewhere between marriage and motherhood i lost these. this weekend i was going through some of my sons old class art projects and in one hes drawn his bed and has written about the scaries and fuzzies under his bed. i don't know how i didn't see that before. my sons never said anything. i thought all his problems stemmed from the divorce. now i'm wondering what i missed and what i should do about it?

binker55

Asked by binker55 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• You could talk to him about it. I was not abused but I was scared about things under the bed. Mine was due to watching scary movies. It may not be what you think.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I was also scared of thing under my bed, so was my sister she would sometime run and jump on her bed lol, we were not abused. you could talk to him about the drawing
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 5:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I was never abused... and have no idea how one would jump from a child being scared of things under the bed to abuse. ARe there any other issues????
    Anonymous

• I was abused but I never had fear of things under the bed or closet. Bring the picture to him and discuss what it means to him. There is a possibility that it was just the "beast" under the bed or monster in the closet.
    Anonymous

• I was terrified of the "things" under my bed as a child, and it had nothing to do with being abused, and yes I was abused but as an adult I can clearly see that the things under my bed had nothing to do with it. I was simply afraid of the dark and the unknown and I too, would get my bed all ready, covers pulled down, then go to the light switch and QUICK, turn off the light run and JUMP into my bed so my feet were never close to it. Then I would hunker down under my covers because of course, if I couldn't see the monster then he couldn't see me. I eventually outgrew this. Looking back I think perhaps I saw one too many scary movies. I know you are concerned for your son and this is not funny for you, but looking back at my situation it really was funny. Just talk to you son, ask him what is under his bed that he is afraid of, and feel out the situation, but don't jump to conclusions about abuse. Talk with him.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 6:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• How old is he? I would talk to him, look for any other signs, talk to his ped and see if he needs a therapist. It could well be nothing. I never liked the idea of things under my bed. I used to check at night when I was younger and I just had three big sisters to fight with.
    Anonymous

• talk to him if you feel it would make you feel better....but just because you were abused doesnt mean he is being abused... be careful and watch over him...but dont be paroniod, for goodness sakes scary things around the bed is classicly normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2010