Do you consider eggs as a dairy or a meat?

I am preparing for a fast. Today is my 2nd day of no meat but the recipe that i want to use for dinner tonight uses an egg. I know eggs are found in the dairy section but dairy actually means that it came from milk, which eggs do not.
...ultimately i am wondering if i should indeed include the egg in my recipe or not.

side note: i do not want to hear any BS about my choice to fast. I know some people do not agree with fasting. Fine. ...I am not one of those people.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 6:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Health

• Contrary to a somewhat common misconception, eggs are not considered a dairy product, which refers to the product of the mammary glands of mammals such as cows, goats, sheep and others, and the products derived thereof. The misconception that eggs are dairy products is often a result of a confusion between the terms dairy product and animal byproduct. While eggs are, indeed, produced by animals and, therefore, an animal byproduct, they are not a dairy product or a derivative of dairy products.

Side note... they are also not meat. They are however protein...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• When they showed the food pyramid it always had the egg in the dairy section.....I would use it, its more meat then milk lol
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I meant "wouldn't"
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I say diary.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It is a dairy
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• There are a Protein.
    Anonymous

• okay. so they are not dairy or meat. That's pretty much what i read when i googled it too.

So then do you think i should leave it out of tonight's dinner? or eliminate it from my diet when i move forward and stop eating dairy as well?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If it is not one of your no no items, I would continue to eat them..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't call it either I don't think. I'd call it a protein. I guess if I had to choose between dairy and meat, I'd call it a meat because there is definitely no milk in there.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 6:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• hmm on the food pyramid it falls into the meat category. To me I also consider it a meat cause if fertilized it turns into fowl. It is a protein but than again so is milk and cheese. : )
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2010