c-section....

i had a c-section for my 1st pregnancy... does that mean i will have to have one for every one after that?

rahrahsmama

Asked by rahrahsmama at 6:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• depends on which way the cut was made, but most likely it is safer and easier for everyone to go ahead with another c-section. I had the option for a vbac but the risks were too much and i was told I couldnt have ABSOLUTELY NO drugs....i'd rather play it safe and have a c-section again.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• UM NO it is not safer and easier to keep having c-sections. Have a vaginal birth please. That is the safest and best way to deliver a child if you are a low risk. I had two c-sections and im going to have a Homebirth with this baby. http://www.ican-online.org/
    that is a good website to research and learn more since your interested in a vaginal delivery.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 6:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• bugsmommy1908 that is about as far from the truth as you can get, please do a little research before passing your opinion off as fact, there is a much higher risk of injury and death to both you and the baby if you have another c-section. The only risk you face with attempting a VBAC is a less than 1% chance of a uterine rupture with a c-section the list of risks are so long I had to post a link because I could not fit the entire list in the space allowed. Major surgery IS NEVER a safer choice than naturally doing what your body was designed to to.
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/cesareanrisks.html
    Forget-me-not

Answer by Forget-me-not at 8:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Well....ive had a vaginal birth, then an un necessary c section, and then a vaginal birth! so yes, it is VERY possible to have a vaginal birth after a c section. Forget-me-not gave you some great information

also check out ICAN (international cesearean awareness network) for lots of info on vaginal births after c sections
    www.ican.org ( im pretty sure its dot org, if that doesnt work, try dot com)
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Some less scary info:

There are OBs and midwives who specialize in VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) care. You can call around or look on the web for many in your area.

Every doctor or midwife is going to make a slightly different recommendation on birth spacing. The general rule is the more space btwn births, the lower the risks. Also, plenty of women have very little birth spacing and have successful VBACs.

You can always try a VBAC and switch to a c-section if things feel wrong to you. You don't have to schedule the c-section from day 1.

Many midwives do special care for VBAC women. They have tons of tips and tricks that you could even start now in preparation for your next pregnancy even if it is many years down the road. Call one and ask some questions.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It depends on the reason for your first csection. Will that reason still be present in your 2nd or subsequent pregnancies, or was it a one time thing?

Answer by missanc at 8:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• it depends. on yoir doctor, my siters doctors woulnt do vbac. so they had 2 c-sections each
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• August 9, 2007, OKLAHOMA CITY – St. Anthony physician Dr. Robert Ryan is one of the few obstetricians in Oklahoma City who offer vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC) as an option to area women. With over twenty-five years of experience, Ryan has successfully completed more than 100 VBACs.

A choice that many physicians in Oklahoma do not offer to their patients, VBACs give delivery options to women who have had a previous cesarean section. Although every two out of three women will have a successful trial of labor resulting in a VBAC, the majority of obstetricians ceased offering this as an option in 2004 primarily as a result of Physicians Liability Insurance Company (PLICO) no longer insuring the procedure. At the time, Ryan was insured through PLICO and was forced to stop performing VBACs. In 2006, when his two-year contract ended with the insurance company, Ryan signed with a provider that insures the procedure &
    MizMzBowz

Answer by MizMzBowz at 12:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• “I believe that women should have a choice,” said Ryan. “I feel very strongly about this. Giving my patients a choice allows them to participate in their care.”

St. Anthony Hospital echoes Ryan’s beliefs about providing options to laboring women as one of two hospital in Oklahoma City that allow VBACs to be performed at their facility.

“At St. Anthony, we support a woman’s ability to choose the birth experience that she and her physician believe is best,” said Joe Hodges, President of the hospital. “We believe in providing a facility and medical staff that work with the patient to provide, to their best of ability, the experience the patient desires.”
    Additionally, the hospital has an on-site obstetric and gynecology residency program, which meets the requirements of maintaining an on-site physician at all times.

MizMzBowz

• Ryan says that through his experience and talking with his patients that have had successful trials of labor, the benefits of this delivery method versus scheduling a cesarean section are plentiful.

“For many women, the benefits of a vaginal delivery are emotional,” explains Ryan. “Medically, the recovery of a vaginal birth is more rapid than that of a c-section with less time spent in the hospital, and the risk of blood loss and infection is less with a vaginal delivery.”

Sara James, a patient of Ryan’s, delivered her second child via VBAC in 2004 and is expecting a third child in December of this year. She will again undergo a trial of labor with Ryan by her side.
    MizMzBowz

Answer by MizMzBowz at 12:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2010