Problems with naptime

Just recently my 16-month old started resisting naptime. At first, it was just she would play in her crib before she fell asleep but that was fine. Now she screams and cries and throws her stuffed animals out of her crib. I wouldn't even mind that but my hubby works third-shift and sleeps in the same room during the day. She likes to throw her stuffed animals at him and wake him up.
I used to just rock her to sleep while I watched tv. But she would scream and fuss (I had just weaned her and she didn't want a bottle or sippy cup). And when the crib idea started to go south I set up her pack n play and attempted to get her to sleep in that but she would still scream loud enough to wake hubby up.

I don't know what to do. She's cranky when I attempt to forego a nap but hubby needs to sleep. Any ideas? Oh, and we don't have the space to move the crib out of our room.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

AmberBrat

Asked by AmberBrat at 6:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does she have regular "exercise" time? My daughter would do that on and off if I wasn't consistant about letting her get all of her energies out before nap time. Is there a consistant routine? That helps big time! My daughter won't go to bed in a timely manner unless we do prayers, talk, and have the mutt in her bed (bath and book are optional) . Back rubs help to calm them down. Is there more sugar than neccassary in her diet that she is eating? Or cartoons before nap time? Sometimes that keeps their little brains awake too. Gotta love the tube stimulation! Warm milk, music (sometimes even rockish music helps put them to bed-why? Because of the beat- thank you drummers and bass players!), or having them by a window . Sometimes the sunshine forces their eyes to close, for others its just another reason not to sleep. Good Luck!
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 6:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• That sounds challenging. I know for my kids, usually I just gave up and rocked them to sleep. I also know their sleep patterns went in stages, where they would sleep good and then they wouldn't. I like the pack-n-play idea for when she does fall asleep. Stick to the same nap time routine, mabie a story. I think your right, at 16 months she should still need a nap.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 10:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I have a 16 mo grandson I take care of. I play music videos on the computer and he falls asleep on my lap. I hold him while he naps. He likes music with lots of drums like Santana then I shift to soft rock to put him to sleep.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2010