Do you think this is discrimination against a housewife?

my husband and I have a car loan. Last year we skipped a payment because his hours at work got cut in December due to snow and roads being closed. I called this year and they said no becauses it was only my name on the loan and he is the one with the income! I was appalled to think that as a housewife my husband's income is not considered my income. Account manager said she could move in with her mom and claim to be working for her as a homemaker too. I just don't think this is right because we have a legal document/marraige license that says we share money, we file taxes joinlty, etc. I would be willing to provide any of these. I also mentioned adding myself onto his payroll ( his plumbing company) as a "babysitter" and "housekeeper" and bookkeeper" but they said I was making up a job. I wasn't making up a job I was just willing to prove my contributions were just as legitimate as his. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, you can get a credit card without a job. Go to college and see how many offers you get. I don't know why you can't get a car on your own with only your husband's income. I did. We had just separated and I went and traded in "our" car (in both our names) - applied for it under my name only - listing his income as my child support and alimony and got the loan and the car just fine.
    Anonymous

• You're asking them to do you a favor. Even if you made 100k a year on your own they wouldn't be required to let you skip a payment.
    Anonymous

• You can not get a credit card either because you do not have a job.

Answer by louise2 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I always thought that the income was considered joint too. I guess what they are wanting to see is a W2 with your name on it. I think the lending practices are getting more and more strict because of default and economic issues. I am also a 14 yr stay at home mom who works like a DOG for no pay...monetarily anyway. The benefits are wonderful though! LOL. Sorry that happened to you. Hopefully this year will be better financially. Good luck!
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I am blond... but I dont understand. They said no to what??
    Anonymous

• i would say that unless you are working there your contribution isn't income-based, not that's it's not important. but they're covering their butts to make sure that if you two break up then they aren't faulted for you not having sufficient income. anyone that doesn't make enough money can't get a loan in their name.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It is fair. I am not on our loan either because I don't have any 'provable' income. It is not discrimination, it is business. They have to be able to insure their investment. You can't get a mortgage with no income, why could you 'bend the rules' with an auto loan with no income?
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I'm on the house load and I have good credit (that's why). Not sure but a good question.
    Anonymous

• "I just don't think this is right because we have a legal document/marraige license that says we share money, we file taxes joinlty, etc."

A marriage license does not mean you share money file tax together. It states you are married. You can file taxs seperatly if you are married. You make no income your husband does.

You are not getting a check in your name so you are not making an income. You are a housewife taking care of your house and you and your hubby agrees to share the money.

"I also mentioned adding myself onto his payroll ( his plumbing company) as a "babysitter" and "housekeeper" and bookkeeper" but they said I was making up a job." Well you are making up a job just to say you make money.
    Anonymous

• Louise, she has a job. She just doesn't get paid or appreciated.

The bank isn't wrong. People in this country clearly do not value marriage, nor do they manage finances as a couple. It's ridiculous, in my book. However, it's life, and the way my husband and I get around it by having everything in both of our names. You can't skip a payment, no can you expect them to let you. They are going to give you any excuse as to why you can't. It's true that you don't make any money, but they'll also gladly extend your husband a ridiculous amount of credit like he has no responsiblity with his money.

If you are staying at home, make sure both of your names are on everything. It's the only way you have a leg to stand on when you try to talk to the bank or anything. Unless your name is on the mortgage, you can't even find out if your payment posted!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2010