do you think its unreasonable to ask your partner to not drink alcohol?

My boyfriend loves to drink and I never asked him to quit even though it can sometimes make it harder on me. Now that my due date is approaching (tomorrow) it gets on my last nerve if he drinks. I want to make sure he is level headed and can drive to the hospital. I want to ask him to not drink at least till the baby is born but I don't want to be a control freak. What are your thoughts

hillma

Asked by hillma at 6:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's not unreasonable. If he can't then he's got a drinking problem. If he won't then he's not a very nice man. I'd have cab fare or call an ambulance before getting in a car with him if he's been drinking.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Not unreasonable AT ALL! He needs to be able to take care of you when you need him!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• at first i thought you were being unreasonable, but now that i see your due date is here i agree with you 100%! he should have a clear mind for what is about to happen. if you think it will cause a problem asking him to do that, owel, just be honest... it's hard to argue honesty.
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 6:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Goodness No. Your reasoning is perfectly acceptable and very smart, btw. We dont drink so I never would have thought of that. Very good insight. If your partner cant stop drinking for this small amt of time, then I would consider this a problem. Not because he is being disrespectful, but more that its a problem that he drinks too frequently. If he is not willing, then I might find a back up source for your ride to the hospital in an urgent situation and I would rethink how much respect he is actually giving you. He should love you enough to be willing to do anything you ask as long as its reasonable. Good luck with your new baby!
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• throw away his beer or whatever he is drinking. Put your foot down and talk to him about it. If he refuses to stop drinking then he needs help
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 7:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I think it is reasonable to make the request around your due date.

But if he is a drinker and is unwilling to stop, you need to see the bigger picture - HE IS A DRINKER WHO IS UNWILLING TO STOP. There seems to be more issues at hand than a safe ride to the hospital.
    Anonymous

• Not unreasonable at all. When I found out I was pregnant I asked my DH if it would bother him to quit drinking w/ me. He apparently had already planned to so I wouldn't miss my wine too much. =) The only times he ever drank during the pregnancy was when I had the servers at my work (restaurant-I was a cook) grab him a beer while he waited for me to get done.
    There is NO reason your BF can't stay sober. Make sure you have a back up ride to the hospital- just in case.
    Good luck and *almost* congratulations!
    dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 7:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• my thoughts...i predict future problems in your relationship...good luck with him
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• there is nothing wrong with wanting him to be sober when the baby comes. you ask him to not drink plain and simple. like my hubby drinks which is fine cause i dont feel the erge to drink while pregnant so it doesnt bother me, but he wont drink when i get close. like tomorrow he is going out with his dad cause its his b-day, but after that he wont drinnk again till after the baby. so just tell your guy that he needs to stop. at least for now.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 7:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Good luck with that request. Lol!
    No seriously, I married a guy that enjoys red wine. Your request is fair and I don't blame you. He should be able to drive you to the hospital and care for baby when it comes. It's not just your job so at very least, he should keep the alcohol to a minimum for the next while.
    Anonymous