Question for military wives

can the wife of a staff sergeant and a Lieutenant be friends?? Since DH has been deployed shes asks me to go to lunch and to hang out, to keep me busy im sure. Shes really nice! and a much better friend then any of my other friends who are just military wives, they have pretty much forgotten about me..but when DH comes back are we still allowed to be friends? I just dont know the protocol since im an enlisted spouse and shes an officer

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You can be friends with whomever you want. Your husband and her husband cannot because that would be fraternization.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• so I wouldnt b e able to invite her to our home??
    Anonymous

• You could invite her to your home. Technically officer and enlisted can't be friends or have unduly relationships, but if you all get together, just keep it under wraps.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Have you discuss this friend with your husband?

Get his input then go with that.

Anonymous

• Sorry I thought she was married to an officer. You were friends with her first so it's fine if she comes over.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My husband is friends with everyone at work even higher ranking soldiers and its not a problem sorry. but some people take things too serious
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 7:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It depends on the command. Some follow the UCMJ to the letter and others are more lax.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It is not a violation of the UCMJ for an officer to be friends with an enlisted spouse. It's not a problem unless it's a problem (prejudice of good order and discipline). If the parties involved are opposite genders (such as female spouse, male officer), it's a bad, bad, idea.

If the officer is not in your dh's chain of command, and you two otherwise behave yourselves, things should be fine.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Not all contact or association between officers and enlisted persons is an offense. Whether the contact or association in question is an offense depends on the surrounding circumstances. Factors to be considered include whether the conduct has compromised the chain of command, resulted in the appearance of partiality, or otherwise undermined good order, discipline, authority, or morale. The acts and circumstances must be such as to lead a reason-able person experienced in the problems of military leadership to conclude that the good order and discipline of the armed forces has been prejudiced by their tendency to compromise the respect of enlisted persons for the professionalism, integrity, and obligations of an officer.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2010