wedding planning

We are getting married in august and just seeing all the cost and we just hired my mom as our wedding planner. How much did you spend total on your wedding and did you cut any corners to save money?

kissy92

Asked by kissy92 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• I did my own flowers and the table arrangements. We had a buffet meal catered instead of having staff serving each table. I rented the basement of the police association I belong to for the reception. We didn't do a church wedding which saved all the money the church "asks" you to "donate" when you get married there. We didn't have limos or rental cars. We got our pictures done by a pro but got a cheaper package with our photos on a CD instead of buying a bunch of framed photos. I got my shoes from Payless. There are lots of ways to cut costs. We refused to go into debt to get married and managed to pay for everything up front. But I'm also not a princess who needed all the frills and crap that some women need - those can add up FAST.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i cut every corner I could. every women DREAMS of a fancy pretty looking expensive wedding, but thats the last thing you want on top of a new marriage. You dont want money problems, you dont want to even go there. It's about you and him falling in love, staying in love, and just being in love. Enjoy that. You should only be spending the big money on the venue for your wedding, the food for everyone, and the music along with the person TO marry you lol. I think everything else can be scrimped and a corner can be cut. Gl and happy marriage to you :)
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I think total we spent around $400.
    My mother bought my dress(she didnt tell me she did, just saw one she liked and ordered it and shipped it to me) and we had already asked her to make the dinner and cake.
    We didnt have to pay for the location of the ceremony and just had the reception at my moms townhome.

So we saved a lot by not going overboard yet still having a very nice day.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• we spent about 2,000 dollars.
    my grandma did the dinner
    we made postcard invitations which only cost 30 dollars ..we had the picture of the cabin on the front...we made them at printsmadeeasy.com
    i handled all the reception stuff...came up with some creative ideas.
    i made a cd with all our fav songs instead of having a dj

i do wish i would have had my wedding catored..instead of asking my grandma to do the food. It was alot of work for EVERYONE. having to put stuff out and then clean up afterwards.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I paid $500 for my oldest dd's wedding. It was formal but in the groom's grandmother's backyard. People brought food. I provided the meat, the cakes and drinks. A friend did the photos. Another friend sang. We got the chairs and table from work. She bought her own dress.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2010