Birthday Party?

I am not a social butterfly, I am shy and reserved and feel very uncomfortable when I have to even host my husbands family. Every year we just have a family party for my son. This year in march he will be 6 and he asked me (after attending a friends birthday party) why none of his friends ever came to his birthday parties. I did explain to him why but I think this year I need to do an actual party with his friends for him. How do I get over the awkwardness I feel when hosting, and moving the party along. I don't even know how to plan a party where to have it what games to play.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know if you've always been shy or reserved, even before having kids and a hub, but I know I've not been able to do as much with friends and such since i've had kids, so I feel socially awkward too.
    If the above is the case then I think it's time for you to have some mommy time and some friend time for yourself, especially ones that your son shares friends with!!! That way it won't be as bad when you do have to see them lol
    I hope things get better for you and you can relax a little and enjoy your son's birthday as much as he would!
    I would maybe suggest having a limit like, 5 friends and maybe thier mothers? Have adult food and then kid food and cake and ice cream for everyone and take interest in thier lives and make some great connections!
    Anonymous

• Please tell me you didnt tell him it was because you were shy. Im sure that being shy is very difficult, but you need to try so hard not to put that on your children. If it is really that hard, you could have your husband help with the party, or a friend.

Im sure you can do this. And if you get nervous come vent here. But try hard not to let your child see you avoid things because of fear. Do it for him.

I really am trying to be supportive and not rude. I know you can do this... do it for him.
    Anonymous

No I didn't tell him it was because I was shy just because we never invited them before so they didn't know to come. I told him if he wanted them to come we would make sure to invite them this year. I hope I don't hold him back because I am reserved, I do try not to.
    Anonymous

• I just had my sons' party at the park. Both my boys have birthdays this month, and I always combine their party to make it easier on me. I didn't rent the pavilion at the park, I just set things up at one of their picnic tables beside the playground. There really isn't much to do to keep things moving along. I had a bunch of frisbees that I brought out, and the kids immediately grabbed them and started playing. Then I brought out some sidewalk chalk, and the same thing. My husband arrived with the pizza and everyone ate. While they were eating, my husband set up the pinata. I pulled out balloons and attempted to make balloon animals, and got mobbed by the kids (I had no idea the balloon animals would be such a hit!) Since I could only make one at a time I sent the kids over to the pinata while I finished making everyone a balloon. Then we did cake, and then we did presents. Then the park closed, and we all went home. Easy!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The kids will help you keep things moving. Chances are, they've all been to at-least one party before, and they know the routine. They may come up and ask if it's time for cake, or presents. My son's party was 2 hours, and that was plenty of time to fit everything in. Try not to over plan, or worry too much. I'm sure whatever you can put together, your son and his friends will love!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2010