weaning and cosleeping help please!!

Okay, so my ds is almost one year old and we have been breastfeeding and cosleeping the whole time. Well , my question is how do i go about weaning him and transferring him to his own crib. I may have spoiled him and now I need a little me back. Should I do one first , how do I do it?He is my first child. Thanks for all your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, you don't have to stop BF if you're putting him in crib, BUT if you're ready, I would start with transition him off the breast, and THEN into his own room. I don't think doing both at the same time is a good idea.

I don't have many suggestions for transitioning on either of these, but if you're going to put him in a crib, I would suggest you start by putting that in your room, close to the bed, then every night move it a little further away, until he is on the other side of the room. When he is used to that, you should move him to his own room.

As far as BF, he should already be on food, so shouldn't be TOO bad, but you need to offer him some cuddle time, maybe with a sippy of milk during the times he would be BFing.

good luck!
    Anonymous

• Wean him first. Then just put him in a crib. He won't like it, but he'll get used to it if you are firm.
    Anonymous

• I've pretty much done the same thing. My DD will be 1 next month. I've been putting her in her room for naps for the past couple of weeks. At night she falls asleep while nursing 99% of the time. I go lay her in her crib at that point. She usually wakes up between 4-6am. I'm pretty happy with that so far. I'm not sure about the weaning part yet, as I'm not there yet.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Anonymous

• On drjaygordon.com, there is a GREAT article on how to transition from the family bed.

You don't HAVE to wean...and I would not do it at the same time as transitioning. I'd do the transiton FIRST. Then, if you want to wean...and you don't HAVE to...drop one feeding per week till gone.

Keep in mind that you CANNOT spoil an infant. Wanting to be with you is NOT being spoiled. That's like saying kissing your husband is spoiling him. Spoiling is giving your child every toy and treat they see.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I'd put him in his crib, cold turkey....but continue to breastfeed until he starts getting settled with his own bed.
    Anonymous

• He is not spoiled, he is well loved and secure. The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Certainly give her a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 7:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• this is a great resource on weaning: www.babyledweaning.com

• I think it is completely unfair to be completely attachment parent for a year and then just drop your kid off in a crib with zero nursing, which has been his comfort. OP, I know this is not what you are trying to do, but it's what some people are suggesting. It's fine to want to sleep alone and not breastfeed, but just as you've considered the needs of your child up until now, continue to do so. It is traumatic to just get tossed in a crib and ignored when your needs have been met for a year. Thinka bout how confusing that is for a baby. You can do one or the other first, and do it gently.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2010