What do I do with my two year old?

Please please please don't be mean! I'm a horrible mother. I try to play with my son, but I just can't seem to handle it. It is very frustrating for me. I work through it, and I do it anyway, but after about 20 minutes, I usually get up and and clean, fold clothes, watch TV or get online or something away from my son. I usually play with him three or four times a day, for 20 minutes. I try and try and try to do it longer than that, and it just doesn't happen. He hates being by himself, and he's demanding my attention more and more. I'm just not enjoying it anymore. I love playing with him, but not for longer than 10 minutes. I do preschool with him, which he LOVES and we sing songs and stuff, but I run out of ideas. I think it's also frustrating to play with him because he'll want to play one thing for 2 minutes, then another for 2 minutes, then for fun he'll throw his toys around and create a mess. cont....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Get out of the house! Go for a walk, go to a park, ride a bus or train, go to story hour at a library, go to a museum, walk around a mall, go to the zoo, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• He needs to learn to amuse himself too ya know. Don't stress. With a two year old attention span, 20 minutes probably seems like forever lol.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• ....cont.....

I feel so guilty at the end of the day. I look over the day and I've only spent maybe an hour with him. I don't want him in front of the TV as much as he is now. He probably watches 3 hours a day. And I don't want him bored like he is when he's by himself. He's always begging me to play with him. His favorite is catch with any ball, and running his cars all over the house. In the summer it's way easier because we go outside almost every day. We still go for walks here, but they're not as long, and I can tell he wants to play on the wet playground, but I won't let him.

I feel lost... what do I do?
    Anonymous

• We do "centers". Look it up online and you can find a TON TON TON of different things you can do. We'll do a coloring center, where we have like a "color of the day" and do everything in red, or blue or yellow, etc. And we color numbers, pictures, letters, etc. Then we have a blocks center, where we play with blocks, build stuff, tear stuff down (MUCH more fun for the little ones!). Then we have a book center, where we read, read, read. Then we have a "play time" center, where she has her toys and does what she wants. When I need time to make lunch, I let her pick a movie (usually Elmo, good lord we watch a lot of Elmo!).
    FYI, I don't structure her day, I allow her to chose what she is going to do, but we do focus on a certain center for at least 15-20 minutes before we move on to the next. Also, we use like tupperwear type box containers to hold each "center" and when not in use they're closed, and put up CONT
    Anonymous

• CONT: which also helps her from getting distracted.

Other ideas for centers:
    Music (we put on kid music and DANCE-TONS of fun!)
    Painting
    Letters& Number (blocks and also paper-we "draw" them).
    Anonymous

• U r not a bad mom u r most likely young like me. My son still does that what I do is find place 2 go and find other moms 2 do thing wit at least u r tryin I kno some mom that don't do anythin with there kid if I was near u I would totally help u out good luck hon
    kadmomma

Answer by kadmomma at 7:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• OP here -

TO anon :57, where do you keep these "centers"? Does she have toys in her room or a play room that she can play with whenever? I thought about putting his toys in plastic bins and just getting one out at a time, and rotating them, but there are times when he's happy to play in his room, so I don't want to disturb that.

How much time a day do you spend in one on one time with your daughter? How old is she? My son is just so random, I think that's what frustrates me the most. He'll decide he wants to read a book, and half way through it he wants his cars. I don't roll like that. :)
    Anonymous

• And thank you to everyone who's replied!
    Anonymous

• I do the same thing and it makes me feel so bad. My husband will get down and play with his action figures and what not all day but I'm an only child who grew up entertaining myself all the time and I'm just not good at playing!! I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that my husband is the "player" and I am the "cuddler" I love to read to him and cuddle on the couch to watch a movie or just talk about his day (he's 4). I also love to take him places and watch him discover but as for just playing with toys at home, I suck.
    LuckyMrsBlagg

Answer by LuckyMrsBlagg at 8:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Youre not alone here! its hard being at home with them, my son is 3, and hes sooooo active, and i get off work and im exhausted, and i just want to lay there. I feel awful about it. and i DO play with him, but not near as much as i wish i had the energy for. I love to cuddle with him, and watch movies with him, but he wants to play, but mommys just not that much fun. haha. dont feel bad. and just know youre not alone.
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 8:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2010