Catching a cold and breastfeeding...

I have a cold...not a bad one but a runny nose, and I am more tired than usual and feel a little cloudy. Other than that I'm fine. My son is 5 months old and I'm exclusively breastfeeding him so I have to be around him regardless. Is he probably going to catch my cold? If my body is making immunities to it, will they be passed to him through my breastmilk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yup he's gonna get what you have, not cuz your breastfeeding but cuz germs are airborne & his face is gonna be close to yours (try not to kiss him all day, can't do it can ya, they're just toooooo cute which is why they get our germs). Yes any antibodies your body is developing will be passed thru your milk, agree w/ gdiamante breastfeedings the best thing you can do, your immunites help build his up too!!! Steam showers follwed by bulb suction will help w/ the stuffies. Also all nat saline spray is great for runny noses!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Yep. Breastfeeding through a cold is the BEST thing you can do for him.

Express a little milk and put it in your nose via dropper...it'll help clear congestion. Works for baby too.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• your body will take 10-14 days to create an immunity to a 'new' virus.... in that time he could catch your cold but I really wouldnt worry too much about it a 5 mo exclusively bf baby has a kick butt immunity system in place and he'll fight it (maybe even better then you LOL)--
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2010