Ok weird question.....I just had my baby and have started to nurse. My breasts have become engorged as expected however I've developed a huge lump under my armpit. Is it some type of weird calcium deposit. Has anyone experienced this? Help I'm freaking out!

xoxneanxox

Asked by xoxneanxox at 8:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be a blocked milk duct. Can you call your doctor? Most of the have after hours or early hours to just walk in.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• UGH sounds like a clogged duct! Hot compresses for 15 minutes followed by message and either good nursing by baby or a strong pump-- if you have a breast pump with car adapter-- plug into your car and pump and message you'll feel it when it un cloggs
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• uh oh.. im sorry you are going through that. I have breastfed for a total of 20 months between my two boys.. and I also had bumps under my armpits.. but not together at the same time.. and having a nursing backround... there is definitely something wrong, and it had nothing to do with you nursing. Don't panic, it could be an allergic reaction, a boil, an ingrown hair..ect... just make an appt with your doc to be sure and dont wait too long. Whatever you do though.. dont stop nursing.. it will never make your situation worse..nursing is the best thing both for YOU and for your baby.

Good Luck,

Valerie Ellison

SHOP AVON ONLINE!
    www.youravon.com/valerieellison

V8ELLISON

Answer by V8ELLISON at 8:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• would a clogged duct be under her armpit?
    V8ELLISON

Answer by V8ELLISON at 8:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I had these all during my pregnancy and occasionally get them now. (I am exclusively breastfeeding my 5 month old) My OB said it was a swollen milk gland. They do go up into your armpits. Like MELRN said, just put a warm compress on it and continue to nurse and it should go down in a few days. Mine never bothered me too much but they weren't real big either...maybe the size of a nickel.
    Anonymous

• The ducts do run into the armpits.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i ahd the smae thing happen to me with both my kids. like gdiamante said, is a dcut. mine never wnet back down. i only pump dd for 3 mts and i got preggo when she was 15 mts and i still had the lump. i pump for ds for 10 mts. he is 11 mts now and i have the lump. itsnot bad once your milk supply establishes or you stop nuring but most likely it wont go away
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Milk ducts DO run into the armpit area. Try warm compresses and try to fully empty your breasts each session. If it doesn't get better you should see your dr just in case it develops an infection. And you CAN still safely nurse from the affected side.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 9:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I have armpit cleavage and know that feeling. I used to get them when I was nursing my girls. Treat it like any other clots.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2010