Anyone with a toddler with diabetes please give me your honest opinion

My father and his niece have type 1 diabetes. Dad's brother has type 2. My dd just had her 18 mo. wellness exam today. I've been concerned because she hasn't been as active lately, has had diaper rash fairly often (she never had it as an infant), she hasn't been eating much (no weight loss), and wakes up from long naps very shakey and crabby. Anyway, they tested her blood sugar, which was 102. However, that was after she had a full cup of juice. I know that normal levels (pre-meal) should be 100-180. She eats very balanced meals and has snacks. I think there's a problem and don't feel like the doctor took me seriously. Am I being paranoid?

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Health

• It's possible she has low blood sugar(hypoglycemia). I don't know why the doctor would simply test her sugar and not take into consideration the cup of juice. My son has type 1 diabetes. When he wakes up in the morning his sugar levels are fairly low (between 56 and 65) some mornings. The doctor wasn't too concerned about it, but it still concerns me. HE just told me to give him a snack before bedtime.

I'm thinking the shakiness is due to low sugar(and the crabbiness). Is there anyone of your relatives who have an extra meter you can borrow so you can test your daughter? I don't know about hypoglycemia but with my son's diabetes he wouldn't eat, he was just always thirsty and he would wet through his diapers constantly. We changed brands constantly thinking it was the diaper, but the amount of urine he passed couldn't be held by any brand because it wasn't "normal".

check her sugar for a few days, then find another doc.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 8:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You're not being paranoid, you're just being a good mom :-)

My husband has diabetes, and I am always helping him with his sugar/insulin ratios. I'm no expert but I might be able to help.

The symptoms your daughter experiences such as shakiness and crabbiness are symptoms that anyone can experience, even without diabetes. Think about anytime you may miss a meal and start to feel a little shaky. As long as eating helps the problems she's okay.

The symptoms you should be looking out for are blurred vision, headaches, and vomiting. It will be pretty obvious that something is wrong if she is diabetic. Usually when people are diagnosed with type 1 their symptoms are so severe that they have to go to the hospital.

I hope this helps calm your fears
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 8:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I don't know about others but my daughter gets shakey with high blood sugar as well as low.

Her first symptom upon being diagnosed at age 3 was blue lips. The thing about a little one is if there vision is blurred and they have headaches, stomaches or any of the other normal symptoms, they can't tell you. Also my daughter didn't vomit until she was very very sick.

All I'm trying to point out is that symptoms are different for everyone and different for adults versus children. I think a fasting sugar may be more helpful.

Also, you could have an A1C checked that would tell you if she running higher often. Also you can do the GAD test for diabetes antibodies.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 8:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2010