Family with roommate? How to handle bills?

Has anyone ever had this situation where you lived as a family but with a roommate? My husband, two children and I are moving soon. We have a friend that has fallen on some rough times and can't afford to live on her own right now. She could however, afford to split rent with on a place. So we were thinking of how it would be fair to do that. Since there would be 5 of us, my husband thought 1/5 of the rent (as we are responsible for our children) and then an extra $20 per week for help with groceries. She would then obviously be able to eat anything in the house, and have the open use of anything in the house. What seems fair to you?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• thats what we did. there is 3 of us and 1 roommate. we figured the light bill the rent and divided by 4 and we added $25.00 for food. he had his own phone so we didn't have to worry about that but our roomate only had to pay $200.00 per month. our only rule (since we have a small child, & our roommate was 21 at the time) we asked him not to bring girls home over night. and let us know if he was bring friends over. our main concern was our house ending up as a frat house. it worked out well.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The rent split sounds fair. Don't forget the utilities. The food share cost seems a bit low. I know when I lived alone, many, many years ago, I spent more than $20 a week on groceries. Also, does she want to eat your food? She may have different food preferences. If she's only eating SOME of your food AND buying her own, $20 would be acceptable.

She should probably cover 1/5 of all the utilities.
    Anonymous