is a 2nd wedding or vow renewal part of the sacrament of Holy Matrimony

Coming up on a big wedding anniversary. We have been planning this vow renewal for awhile(since we first got married actually)

At first we were going to return to the same church, same date , same priest and stay skinny enough to fit into the same clothes. None of that happened.

About 10 years ago we moved so we are part of a new parish, the priest has passed away and the clothes....that's just depressing, but I am sure the veil will fit just fine :)

We have thought about a mountain top ceremony, a beach ceremony and a church ceremony. Before I can continue I need to know if a vow renewal ceremony is an extension of our marriage sacrament. our first wedding was in a church but does the 2nd one have to be in a Catholic Church? If we opt for an outdoor wedding will a priest be able to perform the ceremony?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 8:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My husband and I were married legally in his sister's legal office. He was actually the one that wanted us to 'renew' our marriage on our anniversary of our dating. to make it official-- SO, we'll be official on the 24th of January. :)

As far as where it should be, that's up to you-- being Pagan myself, and my husband Christian, we opted for a fun little gathering place near our home, and are having it presided by my High Priestess/best friend. The 2nd time around should be a celebration in the splendor that you choose-- in a church, in the splendor of God's natural gathering spots-- what feels the most natural to YOU?

As far as being an extension of your sacrament, it shouldn't matter how ceremonial you make it-- its an extension and RENEWAL of your LOVE for each other, and that's the important part.

I'm sure your veil will be lovely.

Much love, Reverend N
    Narakyndryn

Answer by Narakyndryn at 8:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Interesting question. From what I can find...a renewal is not a sacrament. The original marriage was the sacrament, permanent as baptism. You'll need to talk to the priest, but I think it will have to be in the church.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It may not matter, but I really want to do things according to the Catholic Church. I don't care if it is indoors, outdoors, in the sky or at the bottom of the ocean. Since location doesn't matter to me, I see no reason to not stay in union with the church and if they want us to return to the church we were married in, I could do that.

and congratulations on you renewal in just a few short days!
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My Aunt a strict catholic was married in a church and for her 50th wedding anniversary she had a renewal in her daughters home with a priest. It was a sweet and touching ceremony. Especially since her husband died with in the year.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You and your husband have already given each other the sacrament of marriage - so you're set with that. I'm not aware of any restricts on renewing the vows - your best bet might be to contact your parish.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• devilnpigtails, that pretty much answers my question thanks.

I will talk to the priest/parish eringobrough. thanks for the advice. I am planning and I figured I would grab location before I contacted priest.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I've never understood the whole "renewal of wedding vows" concept.

For my parents' 25th, the priest asked if they wanted to renew their vows. Dad's answer: "I didn't know they expired!"
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• sorry mamak88 you don't understand. My point is I want to express to my husband that I would do it all over again even I knew the problems we would have because our love is much stronger.I would like to proclaim this in front of God and everyone else. I am sorry if you don't understand, but nobody is forcing you to renew your vows.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2010