I know that this is now way to be.....

I have been friends with a girl for almost 20 years & granted we don't get to see each other anymore because of jobs, family. kids..... But we still invite each other to everything we have. My daughter has had 4 birthdays that she hasn't came to, sent a present or even RSVP'd to & I have invited her to various cookouts & my DH's surprise 40th party with no phone call that she wasn't coming or anything. I have not attended her DD's parties because the first, my sister was getting married & the second she had two hours away on July 4th but did send gifts & I have been to everything else that she has invited me to. Well she is having her second baby & her shower is Sunday & I am thinking about not going because I am tired of the situation. I know two wrongs don't make a right but I am fed up. Am I in the wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, best friends don't got tic for tack. I haven't seen my childhood friend of 40 years in the past two years, or heard from her, but that doesn't stop my love for her. And, if I had the money, I would send her a present or pay her cell phone bill without blinking an eye. I don't consider anyone my friend who can't take no for an answer or understand that I can't or won't attend every function. I do it from the heart or not at all.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 9:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I agree with Ewadun. Your friend may be going through a tough time and may be withdrawing herself from social activities. Try talking to her about it instead of shutting her out at a time that she may need you the most.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I can see why you feel the way you do..friendship has to be reciprocated in order to be kept alive and well...it sounds like you are investing far more than she is......idk... I might not go if I were you, but that's just me...I'd feel like she didn't give a crap about me if she didn't even bother to let me know she couldn't come when I invited her...
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 9:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2010