4 year old will not stay in bed!!!

I need some advice MY lovely 4 year old daughter will not stay in in her bed when we put her down to go to sleep!!! She gets out of bed and thinks its a game has a huge grin because she is play in us like a fiddle and we know that!!! Ugh. What we do is sit outside her door till she falls asleep. She has just started this in recent months was always really awesome about going to bed. We have punished her and taken away things nothing works. We have a reward chart but has not gotten reward becasue will not stay in bed!!!!! HELP!!!!

ramajil

Asked by ramajil at 8:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You just need to keep putting her back to bed when she gets up. Tell her the first time it is time for bed and you need to stay in bed. After that just pick her up and put het back into bed. She will get the hint.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I would keep putting her to bed as well. I had to do this with my 2 year old when she got her toddler bed.  When it was after midnight and she was still coming down, I ended up locking her in her room till she feel asleep. After a few nights she got the hint to at least stayed in her room. Now she stays in her room and is going to sleep much more like before.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I have a 3 year old and 5 year old who go to bed at the same time and sometimes they get up. I usually hang out upstairs and clean or something till they are asleep. Usually one will get out of bed a few times. I just put them back in. I usually spend 10 minutes telling stories & prayers while they are resting, which usually helps.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 10:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You might want to make the rewards easier to get - if she usually gets up at 1am, start with a sticker for staying in bed until 12am. Then another for every 1/2 hour or an hour. Challenge her to get X stickers in a night (start with something that she will probably do) and then increase the goal. This works pretty well for my son if it is something he can do but just doesn't want to.
    quietsmilie

Answer by quietsmilie at 6:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I would not reward them. As previous posters said just keep putting her back in bed. It may take hours for several days but she will eventually get the hint. Just keep at it!
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 8:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2010