my daugher will not take a sippy cup. Advice please

My daughter will be a year on the 31st. I would like to wean her now, and I don't really want to wean her onto a bottle. I thought a sippy cup would be a good alternative. But she will not take one. She takes about 2 sips and then she's done. I've tried juice, water, formula, milk. I've also tried about 5 different brands of cup, without good results.

Any advice before I waste more money on another sippy cup?

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 8:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try a regular cup
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My oldest didn't take one for a long time. I finally just put it half full of water and let her play with it like her other toys, she eventually caught on. But a regular cup would mean you don't have to get her off the sippy. Be patient, she will drink from something else eventually. I think my oldest liked the nubby ones, or you could take out the spill proof part and see if that helps her to get it.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Stop offering the breast period. She will not starve herself.. give her a softer tipped sippy and don't give in. Eventually, she WILL take the sippy... sometimes "weaning" doesn't work. Cold turkey does.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Depends upon whether you think flow from cup is too much or too little. My boys were both guzzlers - we enlarged the holes and then they guzzled from the sippy cup. If you think it is coming too fast, put something thicker in there so she gets it slower.
    Indianamom37

Answer by Indianamom37 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2010