what CAN you do on pelvic rest?

I know its sounds dumb and obvious but I've been on pelvic rest for a month and probably will be for the next 6 (if I'm lucky and the baby doesn't come early)...but I was wondering what I CAN do. TMI alert: can I touch myself on the outside? can I have an orgasm at all? fingers, no? oral? sorry, these are just things that I'm not too excited to ask my ob. I've been so stressed from the pregnancy, I really need to connect with my husband and massage and cuddling aren't what I want.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Once again, read the question. She didn't say she was going to have sex. She asked what was still acceptable that wouldn't hurt her baby. I'm so sick of people's holier than thou attitudes rather than reading thoroughly and answering the question.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 9:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• oh I should add, my problem is with bleeding from a hematoma, not something that muscular spasms would cause a problem with. so I'm on pelvic rest so as not to cause agitation and bleeding.
    Anonymous

• You really should be asking your doctor about this. You know you are having a difficult pregnancy. why would you risk it?

Answer by louise2 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I'm not risking it, I'm asking if there's anything I can do. That was a really crappy thing to say. I can't ask a question? I am busting my ass to keep this baby ok and if I'd like to know if I can physically connect with my husband, I think that's ok. If I can't, I won't but get off your high horse!
    Anonymous

• If you want to have sex with your DH go right ahead. I just do not understand why you want to risk your babies life just for a little sexual pleasure. JMO again

Answer by louise2 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Pelvic rest is defined as NOTHING in the the vagina. That includes fingers. It also includes orgasm - that's a no no as well. Sorry :( I'm right there with you.
    And I think the other responses were harsh. She didn't say that she's going to violate pelvic rest, she asked what the definition of pelvic rest is.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 9:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I would be concerned about the muscle spasms of orgasm AND the oxycotin release. It causes me to have BH contractions.

Now, depending on where the hematoma is, the position of all the other organs, and and and-- would those certain orgasm contractions or the possible "after shock" contractions disturb it? It's really going to be totally up to you and the doc who both know all the factors of the hematoma.

The other thing to consider is pressure around the area. Again, the location of the hematoma is a determining factor.

Is there a nurse in the practice you are more comfy with? If you sent the questions via email would that make it easier to ask?

Doc has already seen all up in you and I bet people ask gross questions way more embarrassing than this one all the time.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Might be harsh but it is true.

Answer by louise2 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• oh my god louis2! what is your problem? I am NOT going to have sex or violate pelvic rest, I just wanted to know if there was anything intimate I could do that involved my body basically. HOW do you not get that!? I am not freaking risking ANYTHING except my sanity listening to you not get it. there is no truth in what you're saying because you're answering the wrong question! and ladies, thanks. It sounds like I should discuss this with my doctor even if it is weird. I thought there was just a general rule of no sex but then I saw something today that said no orgasm and thought I'd ask here for clarification. so that's where I was coming from. again, thanks to the normal people.
    Anonymous