Really? This is taking things way too far, don't you think? Homeland Security needs to protect us from devout teenage orthodox Jews too? It's mishegas!

Pilot diverts jet over teenager's in-flight prayer

PHILADELPHIA – A Jewish teen trying to pray on a New York-to-Kentucky flight caused a scare when he pulled out a set of small boxes containing holy scrolls, leading the captain to divert the flight to Philadelphia, where the commuter plane was greeted by police, bomb-sniffing dogs and federal agents.

The 17-year-old on US Airways Express Flight 3079 was using tefillin, a set of small boxes containing biblical passages that are attached to leather straps, said Philadelphia police Lt. Frank Vanore.
Read the article--this is ludicrous--poor kid!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100122/ap_on_re_us/us_flight_diverted

AnonIsEasiest

Asked by AnonIsEasiest at 9:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Its not like he knew what they were doing. Its small black boxes, with people trying to blow up our planes, I would have landed it too.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• That poor kid. He probably feels terrible. The exact opposite of his intentions happened. You never know. It could have been God answering his prayer.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The airport security and personnel don't know much. But they do let guys fly with a bomb in his pants. Wow.
    Anonymous

• Armywife--they asked him and he tried to explain. They weren't satisfied with the explanation--which turned out to be entirely true. The kneejerk reactions are over the top.

ecodani--i am willing bet he was praying for a safe flight.

AnonIsEasiest

Answer by AnonIsEasiest at 9:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Half my family are Jewish and practicing. Not orthodox by any means. But it is shocking how little info there is out there about Jewish practice.

When we have big family events there is Hebrew flying around and prayers and all the accessories. People stare like we're a leper colony. Judaism isn't super weird. And since most Americans identify with Christianity, one would *think* people would have some idea about the older practices.

Do Christian churches on the whole not discuss the Jewish practices in the Bible? Wouldn't understanding the religion of Christ be significant?

I bet he was praying for a safe flight too.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• **groan**

I'm SOOOOO looking forward to flying with my toddler next month...should be LOTS of fun.....

:-(
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• eco...I will admit to almost total ignorance on the details of the Jewish religion. All I was taught was they believe Jesus was a prophet but not THE prophet but otherwise we all believe in the same God. That may be way off but I was taught my religion (catholicism) and taught to have respect for all others. I think this is sad, poor kid, but at this stage of the game I guess its better safe than sorry.

Anonymous

• "We should be aware of ignorance just as much as we should be aware of terrorism,"

I don't know what to say...you would think that the crew would be a bit more aware of situations like this. Maybe they need some diversity training.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I agree with 29again.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• THIS is the new reality of air travel. The crew will need to make that call each time a situation arises. Clearly, none of the employees recognized the items in question. Religion and praying are hot topics in the public forum, especially with regards to air travel. Imo, we should be prepared to hear of many more incidents like this one.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2010