After your waters break...?

Hi everyone I was just wondering.... with my first son my waters broke at 2am on a Wednesday and just rushed to the hospital right away!! I had Alex on Friday and was in labor for about 7 hours and he finally came in the afternoon!! So im 6 weeks pregnant for my 2nd and already thinking about labor which i am sooooo scared of!! sooooo im wondering if the same thing happens and my waters break should i stay home for a lil while or should i do the same and rush to the hospital??
Thanks Jess

alexethan

Asked by alexethan at 9:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It all depends on how you feel at the time.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• There are factors to consider--
    If your water breaks (low) when you are not yet term or have a baby that isn't head-down, if you see a color (other than clear), if it has an odor, if you have a fever, you might want to let your provider know asap.

But at term, water breaking in itself is not an emergency at all. It is called ROM/SROM/PROM. Labor will usually follow right behind (if not already in progress).
    If labor doesn't happen soon, you can monitor and continue waiting. Some women wait a long while.

It doesn't have to be an emergency. :-) I encourage you to investigate anything & everything that worries you so you can move past it (as much as possible...) and try to enjoy this wonderful time.

Congratulations!! :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If you are GBS positive, then go in right away. Other than that, if you are full term and don't have GBS, go when you feel you're ready. My water broke at noon and I delivered at 2 am the next day. The contractions didn't get bad until they unnecessarily gave me Pitocin.Congrats and good luck! You'll be fine!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• if you dont go to the hospital right away you can get an infection..thats why they do not send you home once you have been admitted...so no i would say go right away!!
    MamaD620

Answer by MamaD620 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• And im going to say NEGATIVE to the responses that talk about you getting a infection. Stupid.. You dont need to rush so fast to go to the hospital.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 10:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• the infection comes into play from the VE checks. they are putting their fingers from the outside to the inside, so they are pushing whatever might cause an infection up.
    i say wait. no need to rush.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:45 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• As long as you keep all foreign objects (and this includes your doctors hands) our of the vagina the risk of infection is almost 0, its the mulitple vaginal checks in hospitals that raise the chances of it happening. There is no proof at all to support the so called 24 hour rule.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• i agree with doulala, mommytobobby, and cynthje. with my son, my water broke, and i went to the hospital 2 hours later. fortunately my labor was intense and progressing. but i think looking back, what if things hadn't been "progressing" how the hospital wanted, then they might have tried to augment my labor and i might have ended up with all kinds of interventions that i didnt' want. fortunately everything went great.

about you being scared in general, have you read any good birth books? that might help with the fear. i do think it's normal to be anxious though. some books that i like are birthing from within and ina may's guide.

congrats on your pregnancy!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Oh whatever ppl you CAN get an infection...and why the hell would you want to wait...go right to the doc...some women in this case have dry births and you have no idea what pain that will cause...its really up to you but remember with your second kid everything seems to go alot faster...Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2010