Can anyone tell me about antibodies during pregnancy?

Ok ladies... Here goes.... I have O negative blood. I am 14 weeks pregnant.. I just found out that I have positive antibodies... What this means is if my baby has positive blood then the antibodies in my blood will attack my baby's red blood cells and cause it to become anemic and therefore it might need blood transfusions while still inside of me and it could possibly die. If anyone has ever had this happen to them please tell me what was done for you. I am seeing a high risk doctor and also my regular OBGYN. I am really scared. I do know that if something happens with this baby that we cannot try again because the antibodies get worse with each pregnancy and once you have t hem that you cannot get rid of them. Please help me to understand this....

Kristy2008

Asked by Kristy2008 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my ? is this why werent you appropriately treated in your first pregnancy?-- I am O neg Rh neg too but I got rho gam at 18 weeks with BOTH my pregnancys and after a car accident which caused a mis-- if you are appropriately treated this should not have happened
    I'll email you to explain antibodies in a few minutes its kinda long explanation to get it rightly understood
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• They will give a rhogam shot to help. Is this your first pregnancy? Usually the antibodies develop after a first baby. A miscarriage, or abortion can also cause you to build antibodies. Most babies are just fine. Before any procedure that might include the mixing of your blood with the baby's they will give you the shot to help. Don't stress too much, any question you have write it down and ask your Doctors. You can also google Rh incompatibility and it will also give you alot of information.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I'm sorry, I misread your post. Rhogam is used to prevent antibodies from forming but will do nothing if you already have the antibodies. The Doctors will monitor you and the baby very closely, testing the amniotic fluid might also be done. So don't worry to much if/when they ask. It is just precaution. Hang in there mommy :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Thanks for the quick responses! This is actually my 4th pregnancy... I have a 15 year old that I did get the shot with... I have the twins which I did not get the shot with them at 18-28 weeks BUT my doctor did give it to me after I had the girls. Now I also had a miscarriage before that I DID get the shot so I knew I needed the shot but I trusted my doctor.. I thought that he knew what he was doing only to find out that it was because he did not give it to me that I have developed these antibodies... My husband and I went to the high risk doctor on Tuesday and she has scared us too death...
    Kristy2008

Answer by Kristy2008 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2010