At what age do you start giving cereal & can baby food?

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 months is recommended.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i would wait till like 6 months old or maybe even a yr...some babies can be alergic to food and even have a reaction to it if the baby is exposed to soon!!!...ask your Pedi
    MamaD620

Answer by MamaD620 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• They say supported sitter right on the box, and on the 1st stage containers. My ped told me it was FINE to start at 4 months! Everyone is going to be different, so I say when you and your doctor agree that it's a good time to start!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It depends on your baby. Some signs are: Loss of tongue thrust reflex, interest in what your eating (my baby would watch me eat and make eating movements with her mouth), cluster feeding, ability to let you know when he/she is full, ability to sit up with support (and hold head up). My little one will be 4 months on the 25th and I started feeding her VERY liquefied cereal 2 weeks ago and she does fine. I gradually made it thicker and thicker and then began adding 1st stage foods in with the rice cereal. Now she takes one or the other. I'm sure your little one is ready but it's safe to ask your ped. too. Hope this helped! It's so much fun seeing the different faces you get from the tastes of foods. Take pictures! :D
    MumsTheWord.

Answer by MumsTheWord. at 11:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• my boy is 13wks and i just started him on rice cereal. not for nutrition, it's just a few bites once a day for practice. he really likesit and smiles alot when i feed it to him. his doc said it was ok too.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• state of ky says not until they turn 6 mo. however ive been giving my son baby food since he was 3 months. i started givin him one or two bits a day and then by four months i gave him 1/2 a contianer and now hes 5 months and eating approx. 1 & 1/2 to 2 cont. a day with cereal in the morning for breakfast and bottle at night and he is doing wonderful! healthy as can be!!! Also, i give mashed potatoes when i make them not often t all but every once in a while. i started putting cereal in his fomla at 2 months because he acted like he was still hungry! he was eating ever 1 anda half 5 oz a time befor i started using cereal. My dsons pedi. said that u can judge by the amout and how ofter ur baby is eating weather or no ur baby is reaady for baby food. i hope i helped
    olan8809

Answer by olan8809 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• 6 months and you can skip cereal altogether... it's just garbage. Fresh foods like banana and avocado are perfect starter foods for baby, just mash and feed...

And you all do know that starting early for "practice" is no real benefit to the child? They don't learn any faster or anything... it just puts them at risk for food allergies and digestive problems.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2010