I have an extremely picky eater, and I need suggestions...

My daughter has been extremely picky since birth. She would not drink my breast milk, and I cannot tell you how many formulas we went thru to we found one she would drink. I made all baby food from scratch, because she would not eat anything from a jar. She was losing weight and she has had every test possible and every doctor has told me that she will eat when she is hungry and not to make a big deal about it. My daughter turned 5 this past September. She has been in day care for 2 years and will only eat bread and fruit for lunch.After 2 years she has just started eating noodles with no sauce @ school. She refuses to try anything new. At one point, I tried to "force" a food we were eating as a family and she bite her lip till she bleed. That was also 2 years ago, and since then she has a staple of foods she eats. Oatmeal, most fruits,yogurt,PBJ on whole wheat bread,mac n cheese,pancakes..How do I add more?

alexsandivysmom

Asked by alexsandivysmom at 10:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• IMO....at this age she needs to learn that she cant have it her way. From the menu you gave, she sounds like a typical kid only wanting her favorites but as far as hurting herself in refusal or starving in refusal to eat anything new is sort of scary on a behavioral level. Don't push her I think, if she doesnt want to eat and you want her to eat it....she can go hungry for a few hours until she gives in. If she ABSOLUTELY hates it and starts gaging then okay she can go back to something thats easy and to her disposal. gl
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Have you had her evaluated for a sensory issue? This sounds way beyond "normal" pickiness.

Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Ok Ok I agree with all of the post so far, maybe beyond "normall pickiness" and 3 bite rule and SHE maybe just more stuborn than you are at enforcing this pickiness. So here are a few ideas:
    Get her involved; get out cook books or magazines and let her cut pics out or color on paper her OWN menu (pretend resturant) then make a grocery list or clip coupons, spread this out into a few days worth of a quality time with you. Maybe even design your own matching aprons. You get the idea right?? Then, go shopping together, let he put stuff in the cart, touch the food in her own hands, pick the veggies herself. Then for dinner, after school snack time, start making a "munching bowl" something to munch on while preparing dinner and have her help set the table. In the munching bowl but a few things she likes and put it on the table like a center piece. Have her help prepare the dinner with cutting, stiring, measuring or whatever. cont
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Cont.
    Once dinner is ready, do the 3 bite rule. Every night just keep trying new stuff that She helpped do, but in the mean time the munching bowl is on the table durring dinner. That way she feels she has options: to eat dinner or something from the munching bowl. I use fresh veggies and ranch in my bowl, but you could use the noodles she likes or whatever. Good luck hopefully one of these ideas sound like a good fit for you and works out ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My grandson does this. The textures of the foods gross him out to the point of vomiting. For him, it turned out to be a symptom of being sensitive to sensory overload. My daughter has still not found a solution.
    Anonymous