tooth splitting in two

anyone ever hear of this?
My 7yo lost a tooth today. It was sitting on my desk and all of a sudden something flew towards me. I looked down and saw a tooth and thought it was odd that it suddenly jumped at me so I was looking around to see what I could have hit to make it jump and realized it didn't jump. It had physically split in two. Just like that. It completely blew apart into 2 pieces right down the middle.

Which explains a lot because every other tooth she has lost I have gone back to find only half a tooth. I thought maybe I had been imagining things but I guess not. It's never happened to my other kids' teeth (I've kept most of them and they are still whole even after years) but her teeth seem to split apart once they fall out. Very strange.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 11:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It's not as strange as it sounds. I have been a dental professional for many years. It happens because when the permanent tooth grows and moves into place it pushes on the primary teeth. It's caused by the angle and pressure that is being placed on the primary tooth before the permanent tooth erupts.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• A deficiency of something in her diet? I'd be asking her doctor ASAP just to be safe.
    Anonymous

• Definitely get her to the dentist; this sounds odd.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• It is really weird. Her teeth in her head seem fine and she checked out fine at her last appt (which was after she starting losing teeth). I'll have to tell my husband about it so he can make her an appt. He just went back to work after being off for a month so I don't know what his schedule is right now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:03 AM on Jan. 22, 2010