im worried about taking my baby on a plane.any advice or thoughts?

we are taking my 14 month old little girl to meet her grandparents for the first time but we have to be on a plane for like 9 hours..im worried about her ears hurting and can i take her bag and mine on the plane?what about her bottle and stuff she needs? any advice?

mom2b112108

Asked by mom2b112108 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I took my son on the plane three times. Once at 6 months, once at 9 months, once at 18 months. The longest leg of the flights was 3 hours on a tiny plane. The worst was when he was the oldest because he wanted to be up and playing. I made sure he was nursing or drinking or eating on the desent. The accent isn't as bad according to his dr, it's the decent that hurts the worst.

Bring TONS of diapers and wipes. Bring LOTS of snacks. Bring a mini magnadoodle, not crayons because those will fall and you won't be able to pick them up. Bring extra sippy cups or bottles so you can put juice or water in it if you lose one. Bring an extra change of clothes - my son had a blow out on our last trip, that was fun! Ask the flight attendant if there are any open seats side by side if you are not paying for a ticket for her. It will make your life MUCH easier.

corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 12:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Feeding with a bottle or nursing during the take off and landing may help with her ears. The sucking motion helps them to "pop" with the pressure change.

Bring more wipes than you think you will need.

If anything goes awry remember this: Most everyone on that plane is a parent or grandparent. They are not scowling at you. They are looking at you and thinking, that poor woman, my kid did that once.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:04 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• They will let you bring one extra bag and a stroller you can check at the gate, so don't worry about that. They will also let you bring juice and milk through security because she's a baby still.

If she starts screaming, don't fret, just stay calm. During one flight my son was throwing a fit and the flight attendant invited me up to where they sit. I laid his blanket on the floor and let him crawl around on the floor in that tiny space, and he was so happy! I spent almost the whole flight up there. So if you need anything, or extra space, ask. The worst they can say is no. They're there to help you, so don't be afraid to ask!

Also bring a few plastic bags and a blanket to change diapers on, a lot planes don't have changing tables.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• All of the above. And try not to stress! I just took my 6 month old on a trip and we were on the plane literally all day. He did absolutely perfectly. I just made sure he was nursing during take off and landing and his ears didnt bother him at all. Im sure you guys will do just fine.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2010