Can infants have worms?

Last month my 7mo old was diagnosed with a kidney infection. After being on antibiotics for three days, she had what looked like hundreds of tiny worms in her diarrhea. They were small, black, looking like an eyelash in length. It was her first time eating a banana ( the internet said it could be due to a banana ). Except she only had three bites of banana, and the worm-like things were in her diaper for over 24 hours. I told her doctor but he dismissed it without any further investigation.

Since then, shes been acting different. Shes fussy all the time, irratable, screaming. Her doc said shes possibly teething.

Has anyone had worms? Is it possible for a baby to have worms? What are symptoms/signs? How could she even get worms?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.electroherbalism.com/Naturopathy/MiscAltHealthTopics/Parasites/Parasite_Pictures_and_videos.htm

if she had worms they would be moving...more than likely.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• worms would be moving. were they moving?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yes I grew up in a third world country..Honduras..my parents ran a childrens home. I remember babies/children being dropped off and my mama changing their diapers and seeing I think it's tape worms on the daipers and passing them. My parents would have to put them on meds for awhile and till that got nutrition etc and it'd clear up, well kill them and they'd pass the parasites from their bodies and eventually be healthy again. But that was mal nurished children...
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 12:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Well she certainly isnt malnurished. Shes quite chunky even for her age. At the time the worm like things were not moving. But could the antibiotics she was on have killed them? I dont think it was bananas. She was pooping these things out all day long, and she only ate two baby spoon fulls of bananas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Healthy people can get tape worms. It's from tainted pork. I'd take your doctor a stool sample and tell him you just want to be sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Improper handwashing, bad food, pets, crawling in the dirt....
    MalhotraFamily

Answer by MalhotraFamily at 6:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I am a medical lab tech and what you are describing doesn't sound like worms. You can go to google and look at picture of tapeworms and tapeworm eggs.

Pinworms look like tiny white threads. The worms crawl out the anus at night and you may be able to see them. The child is thin despite eating a lot.

If there are no worm things in her stool now there is nothing that can be investigated.

I would be concerned about a kidney infection, they can be very dangerous. Are you sure it wasn't a uti or bladder infection? A uti isn't so bad but a kidney infection means the infection has traveled from the bladder up into the kidney. There can be kidney damage. Either way since she is fussy I would have her urine rechecked. If it is a kidney infection I would ask to see a urologist if all doesn't seem right after a second round of antibiotics.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2010