When you go shopping, do you approach the cashier with money in hand or dig for it after everything is rung up?

As an cashier, I've noticed that women always keep their eye on the register, and after everything is rung up, they dig in their purses searching for cash and are often short. Like didn't you know how much money you had to work with? Don't you use a calculator or do a running total, as you shop? Men, on the other hand, also watch the register but have their money in hand. All the while, the children are hog wild. Knocking candy all over, pulling out dvds, screaming their brains out and the parents are oblivious. Meanwhile, it seems I'm expected to kiss their feet for spending money in a store that I don't own. Needless to say, I quit. You're overworked and underpaid.

Ewadun

Asked by Ewadun at 12:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• haha i used to analyze people like that too.
    to answer ur question..i take my debit card out and have it in my hand as the cashier rings my things, but i make sure to put it away before i leave the register. i am so forgetful, i've left 3 cards already. so i make sure that i put it away.
    and i keep my kid in the cart, or she is the one handing money (when its cash) so she is occupied and in my sight. i cant stand people that let their kid(s) run around the store! i worry so much that someone is going to kidnap my daughter, and some people are so careless!
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Seriously, you shouldn't be doing that job if something so minor upsets you so badly. I usually have my wallet out, but I wait to take out the cash or debit card until I see the total. Whether or not you think you get paid enough, you ARE getting paid to provide service, and I don't really care if it bothers you to wait the 3 seconds it take for me to open my wallet to get my method pf payment.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I always use my debit card, so I never have to dig for cash. Typically I know about how much I have spent, although I don't use a calculator to add it up precisely or anything. Every once in awhile I will have to take my DL out and it will take a few extra seconds. Rarely does anyone ask for it with the debit card though.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 12:46 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• ALWAYS USE CARD COS I ALWAYS FORGET TO ADD SOMETHING LOL. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOT YOUR BAG, MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE BAGGER THAT WAY YOU WOULD NOT HAVE HAD THE TIME TO NOTICE WHAT PEOPLE ARE DOING..........LOL PEOPLE WILL DO THE WEIRDESS THINGS AND HAVE NO IDEA THEY ARE DOING IT, BUT IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME COS I LOVE TO PEOPLE WATCH........ONCE WHEN I WAS A CASHIER A LADY WANTED TO RETURN A SHIRT THAT WAS TOO SMALL FOR HER SON, I SAID OKAY.......SHE LOOKED AT ME WHIPPED UP THE SHIRT AND PUT IT ON AND SAID SEE IT DOESN'T EVEN FIT ME MY SON IS A SENIOR............I LOOKED UP AND HERE STOOD THIS CRAZY LOOKING WOMAN WITH A POLO SHIRT OVER A SWEAT SHIRT, IT WAS THE FUNNIEST THING AND I BUSTED OUT LAUGHING...........SHE HAD NO IDEA HOW STUPID SHE LOOKED...........IT WAS THE BOYS DEPARTMENT SIZE 4-7 OMG LOL.
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yeah.. you sound fed up or maybe just a pissy person in general? Try making small talk, making your customers smile...it might bring a smile to your face as well and lift your spirits. I used to be a cashier, I never felt like that about the customers. & I always have cash ready as a customer but I like to get rid of my change and screw everyone if they wanna get pissy waiting 2 seconds for me to count it...Gawd the whole world is so full of impatience and me-first attitudes, it makes me sad :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• i used to cashier, i loved people that used a card. and personally, i usually get my wallet out while ringing up, and i start counting as the stuff is being rung up. but usually i also have a debt card
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 1:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Honestly and i'm not trying to be sarcastic. i think your just so bored with you job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• OP here. I'm an analytical person who worked 15 years as an Asst. Payroll Manager doing paychecks and company budgeting/corporate collections. Therefore, my past contact with the public was very impersonal. After many years being a SAHM, I decided to experience work in the trenches and develop my inter-personal skills. I had a very good relationship with my customers and they often would reward me with presents or would only come to my register for service. You assuming judgmental people here crack me up! I learned a lot from that job and about people, in general, especially how they act about spending their money. It's definitely made me a better Manager and business owner. It pays to know the nature of your clients. Thank you mrs.josey1018200 for being the only one observant enough to call me on it.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 1:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• not to be rude im a cashier to look at it this way it may not be your store but u work on commmission evry dollar they spend or the friendly u are the more they come and that gives you hours and a guaranteed paycheck its a hard job it sucks sometimes but it keeps you employeed
    mandy550

Answer by mandy550 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2010