How do people work when they have kids?

When I had a full time job, I essentially felt like a part time mom. What gives?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• People work because they have to. Noone wants to miss out on any time in their children's lives but you do what you have to do to put food on the table.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• In my experience, people either put their kid in a daycare, and when school-age, an afterschool daycare, and they can afford it because their jobs are very well paying- even afterschool care is $750/mo in my neighborhood. Or, they have parents that are retired, live nearby, and live to watch the grandkids while the parents work. Or, they work pt, struggle to make ends meet, or live below their means until the kids are older. Or, they network with neighbors who don't work as much, to arrange afterschool playdates that form long lasting friendships. Or, mom and dad have flip schedules- one is day shift, the other night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• They have to. At least they are working instead of relying on government assitance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Wow, Anon, why did this have to turn into bash on government assistance (or assitance, as you put it)? I don't work and we don't receive any assistance. So how about you quit being hateful? No one asked for your bad attitude.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I have to work. I don't want to go onto PA, so I do what I have to for my family
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 4:05 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Umm I didnt bash anyone. I made a statement YOU are the one that turned it in to what it wasnt.
    Yes that is what it is called governement assistance. Should I call it welfare?
    Talk about bad attitude, You went LOOKING for something to get your feathers in a bunch over. So Chill out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• How do people work when they have kids

Oh and she said PEOPLE not just moms. So yes at least SOMEONE is working instead of both parties staying home and living off assistance. Geeze

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I never felt like a part time mom when I worked full time. I HATED being a stay-at-home mom.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Ditto for rkoloms. I recently quit to go back to school full time so I'm now more of a SAHM. I hate it. I much rather prefer to work and I actually think I'm a better mom when I'm workign because I am a more balanced 'me' and really valued the time my DS and I had together. Now I feel like I have no identity of my own...I'm just mom. And BTW, we are not on any public assistance. In fact, I dont' even have any student loans. My DH is working and we have saved a lot of money for me to do this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Many moms are better moms because they work, most work because they have too but not all of them. Being a SAHM is not for everyone. I work and i do not feel like a part time mom at all.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2010