What exactly would you want in a health care bill?

Whether they start over, work from the current bills, scrap the whole thing and focus on a Mars colony, that's not what I'm talking about.

What I want to know, as moms, what do you want in a bill/law? I'd like to have more flexibility in plans offered, even if that means I can buy it from a different state. I can do that with my life insurance, why not health insurance? Just a for instance.

What are your must-haves? (Or conversely, your must-nots?)

MonicaE521

Asked by MonicaE521 at 1:03 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Tort reform is my first pick. They definitely need to make it possible to buy insurance across state lines. Here's an article I found. It has alot of the things that I would like to see in the bill.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/17/news/economy/republican_health_care_bill/index.htm

I don't want UHC or any other government run healthcare. Absolutely NO government funded abortions. No fines for not having insurance. One thing in the article I don't like is the In-home care incentive. Most people physically can't take care of their loved ones, that's why they put them in nursing facilities.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 2:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• This is just a couple of my thoughts... I don't have enough room to write everything but the MAIN things I would like to see and have even suggested via emails are
    1. Allow insurance companies to sell across state lines.
    2. Give Employers incentive(tax credit) to supply good health coverage and preventative measures (i.e. gym memberships, smoking sensation classes, etc.)
    3. Tort Reform this alone will lower medical costs.
    4. Donation money pool for those whom have excessive med bills. It would be donation only, so those who want to donate to it can. (especially all those famous people who were pedaling the current HCR). It would be a government grant type where you have to qualify to get the money.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I like that last idea Crissy. I think that would be a great idea.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 2:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• The article mentioned above pretty much covers it for me. The two most important issues for me are portability and tort reform. And, I DO NOT want the Fed gov't involved in this at all.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Tort reform! We need government regulation over the abuses of greedy insurance companies, not government control. Also, no pre-existing conditions clauses.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 4:26 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• As candidate Obama promised, single payer, universal coverage.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• TORT REFORM!! Do what Australia did in the mid nineties...get rid of some of these outrageous lawsuits; Let us buy across state lines so that the "competition" of the insurance companies will lower rates. Make ALL medicare/medicaid recipients pay a $20.00 co-pay.....that would help that system. No more deals for Big Pharmacy...make them compete with Canadian and European drug companies. Take a HARD look at the CDC and make them open up their books on their testing of VACCINES to determine if they are the cause for the now 1 & 91 cases of A.; Stop providing FREE services for the illegal aliens.
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 7:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• These ladies covered it for me..all of the above EXCEPT a government take over not yet another failure of a government program and no UHC..

I prefer my doctors to have incentive to keep doing what the do and do it well no bottom of the barrel care that would likely come with UHC...selling insurance policies across state lines opens up the competition way more then adding any govy program and it gives us all many many more choices to choose from...
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:46 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• pvt you added some excellent ideas that I hadnt thought of ...kudos I really like the idea of lowering the drug prices that way..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• medicine that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It's not controlled period. Universal coverage. To start.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2010