Is this legal in a marriage?

My husband has decided to cut off my access to the credit card and checking accts. The only access I have is my own acct.
I live in California. What site is best to look at for legal stuff in California that is easy to understand...legal stuff and my brain do not mesh lol !
Please I know some of us get moody and wanna bash but I am not needing that right now, I just want some serious answers as this is a serious issue. Thanks very much in advance!

Shaneagle777

Asked by Shaneagle777 at 1:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Are they his credit cards and he just added you? Are they his accounts and he just added you?
    If yes they yes he can legally stop you from accessing them. Since you said you only can get your account then I would assume that is what is going on. They are his accounts not yours then you DONT have to be on them and he does not have to let you have access
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• You expect nice answers when you bash every non christian that comes along? I am sorry you are going through this but don't expect all sweetness and support after the rudeness you have shown. Good luck and I hope you get it worked out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I don't believe that is legal.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:13 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• If the accounts are in his name then yes he can stop you from accessing them.
    ryanmomof4

Answer by ryanmomof4 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• The credit card yes but the checking acct was joint.

second person that answered... nice God bless you.

Ruttermom ok
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• If he is primary on the accounts YES he can. Actually happens alot. Women who leave their husbands thinking that before the divorece they can still get his money find out that they have been blocked.
    Ask the bank about the joint account.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• If it was a joint checking account he cannot do that. Unless he has you removed from the account. I do not know what the steps for doing so are. You can try contacting legal aid and asking a lawyer. They should be able to at least tell you if he can take you off the account without your knowledge/consent.
    ryanmomof4

Answer by ryanmomof4 at 1:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• "second person that answered... nice God bless you. "

He always has, thank you. God Bless you too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• In my college business accounting class they said either person on a joint bank account can clean it out without the other person's permission. Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• In most states, even if it is a joint account, he can block you from the account just by going in and signing some papers. I can do that here and my husband's check gets direct deposited into that account, but I could still take him off it. Of course, each state has it own laws regarding property and marriage. You could try calling the bank to ask them, they should be able to answer any questions you may have. You could even try calling anonymously so that you don't have to give them all of your information. Just a "case scenario". I've never heard of any website that makes legal mumbo jumbo make perfect sense!!! Hope this helps!
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 1:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2010